Wednesday, December 28, 2005

goodness....

We here in the Witham Nation hope you and yours enjoyed your Christmas weekend!

Mine was an emotional rollercoaster.

Christmas Eve was our final Candlelight Communion Service at church. It went well, and Silent Night by candlelight always rocks.

Christmas Day was the finale. It POURED RAIN much of the way down (so it wasn't a pretty Christmas, weather-wise). The worship service was great; there were more people attending than what I had anticipated for the holiday.

I kept myself together.....until the benediction. Two huge gasps of breath to calm myself in order to force the words out.

And with that, mission accomplished.

Many came to say farewell. One, specifically, touched my heart, for I didn't see it coming. We have a family with three sisters. They were in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st grade when I arrived. They are now a Senior, Junior, and Sophomore.

The Sophomore came to Christmas service and when she hugged me she just cried and cried. She will never, ever know how much that touched me. We had lunch with some people at a private home, thankfully, of the couple I most dreaded saying "farewell" to. It was MUCH easier at their home as opposed to right after the benediction. :)

So, we're trying to get some of them together with us here in Glen Allen for the first two hours of "24", and we've already penciled in some dates in our minds for when we'll go back and see the gang.

Writing a thank you letter to them tonight created, yep, even more tears. This is going to be a much bigger adjustment than I ever thought.

BUT----I do know the right decision was made. Why?

Coming home Sunday, we hit another pouring rain near the Appomattox River on I-295. I notice some breaking sky to the west. What happens when we hit the bridge?

Yep. Right in front of us. A rainbow.

And the promise of God's covenant continues.....:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas? Oh, yeah, it was here. Mom got a laptop, I got a recliner (presently occupied by my daughter) and a great series of 1980's wrestling DVD's. Nothing like Starrcade '84 with Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric Flair for the NWA World's Heavyweight Title with Bob Caudle on the mic!! Those were the GOOD days of wrestling.

Robbie got the "real" lightsaber. It cannot be hit by another object, or much money Santa spends in vain! Rachel got a piano, and lessons! Starting January 9th.

Cody and Zoe were disappointed to see the tree come down Sunday evening (so my recliner could find a home!)....but it still wasn't the same without Katie Pickles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heavens, so much to type; little energy, so I'll get to it one piece at a time. Wasn't ignoring my blogworld, just got overwhelmed with the one I walk in.

And in closing...

Mama passed away three years ago tonight at age 64. Doesn't seem that long. Then, part of me thinks it's been 100 years since we talked.

Love 'em while they're here, folks. There aren't rainchecks on this earth.

No comments: