Friday, December 23, 2005

And now, the final countdown, brought to you by change.....

.....well, Tuesday night was tough enough.

Then, Wednesday pounced me and wouldn't let me go.

Tuesday night was our Christmas play at church. It's the third and final installment in the "Cricket County" Christmas Play series. So, all of us have played our roles three years running. We became a dysfunctional family (in that, some had to be really prodded to reprise their role, etc.)

So, with everyone standing on the platform at the end, our fearless director reminds us that:

A) This would be the final time this ensemble would be together...

B) This was my final play as pastor.

Tears, anyone?

Greta did the crying for us at the service (though I teared up watching Rachel play Mary in the final scene), we enjoyed talking to lots of people at the reception afterward, and started having to say our farewells (for now, of course, not for forever!) as some people will be out of town this weekend.

Then, Wednesday, I couldn't spend ten minutes in my car alone without breaking down, thinking of all the people who have been such a part of my life these past nine years and, all of a sudden, they, on a regular basis, won't be there.

One of my current problems, as I've noted here in the past, is that, as a pastor, you are "not allowed" to have friends at said church, for fear of reprisal, jealousy, anarchy, whatever.

So, I'm happy that, as of Monday, I can finally be "friends" with people who have been my friends for years and years.

At the same time, I remind myself God has another door opening for our family to find a new church home where we can be sheep, and connect with new, cool people who can also impact our lives in positive ways.

There are new friends to make, new experiences to come, and new smiles to make.

But first, we cry.

Tomorrow night is the Christmas Eve Candlelight Communion Service. If I make it through Silent Night without a tear, that can ONLY be attributed to the sovereign work of God Almighty.

Then, Sunday morning, Christmas Day, we wrap it up.

Monday? We are all home (no one has to work), and I'm not sure how I'll "feel".

Part of me will be grateful, part of me will be sad, part of me will be tired (that's a constant!!)...

...and I hope part of me is ready to look ahead, which is something I've not wanted to do much in the past few years.

So, who will I know in 12 months who are not a part of my life today?

I don't know......but time, if God allows, will tell. :)

No comments: