Friday, February 25, 2005

Thanks, Bro!

So, I get a CD in the mail, and I wonder what it is. It's labeled "Enjoy".

It's from my brother. So I pop it into the CD player heading for work this morning. Maybe bluegrass? Old 70s favorites from AM Radio?

No. Even better.

Mercury Theatre on the air presents "War of The Worlds"!!!!

I was just sharing with my son recently that he needs to hear the original radio broadcast, in light of some study he's had in Social Studies class. Now, he can.

On the way to work, the memories of the old album flooded back....

Grovers Mill, New Jersey
Professor Pearson
Karl Phillips (and his later charred body)
"I don't know what the thing is...."
and, of course..

2X2L calling CQ.
2X2L calling CQ.

Isn't there anybody there?


The use of the imagination of radio at its absolute finest. Those tuning in after the disclaimer was presented at the start of the show became manic, thinking that Martians actually had come to New Jersey.

In hindsight, all these years later, I do think this:

Maybe we would have been better off cutting a deal with the Martians and just letting them have New Jersey. :)

No comments: