Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Okay, I'm doing it, too----67 things about me....

Seems like this is an "initiation" post; i.e., your blog isn't really "official" until the "list" is posted.

Therefore, though I'm not one to really care about wanting to be with an "in" crowd, here are 67 facts and thoughts about little 'ol me---in the order they enter my mind. Oh, why 67? I was born in '67, that's why. :)

1) I'll turn 38 on June 23rd.

2) I became a Christian November 16, 1975 and was baptized two weeks later.

3) My name is supposed to be Sharon Nicole (my parents came up with a girl name, but not a boy. Now you know why I got tagged with "junior")

4) I am an absolute college basketball fanatic, and therefore, am about to hit the greatest month of the year. March Madness, baby!!!

5) I have every NCAA Championship game from 1991 to 2004 (except 2002) on tape.

6) I am a long-suffering NC State Wolfpack fan (it's been a long time since Albuquerque in The Pit in 1983. Lorenzo Charles, you were da man!!)

7) My first word was "icee". Yeah, the frozen drink (also known as Slurpee for you 7-Eleven fans out there...)

8) My favorite Icee/Slurpee is when both Coke and Cherry are available; make it a half and half!!

9) I was a preacher's kid who actually grew up in only one parsonage. The vast minority of preacher's kids can state that fact as truth.

10) I have one brother and one sister, plus one stepsister and three stepbrothers.

11) Since I can remember I have worshiped the ground my brother walks on, even if he is a stupid Yankee fan.

12) He and I were avid baseball card collectors; I restarted my love for the hobby in 1989 and now own approximately 105,000 cards in all four major sports (though hockey sure is slipping, eh? How sad....)---and he's collecting like crazy, too!

13) My favorite cards are a Cal Ripken, Jr rookie, two cards of my two all-time favorite players together (Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken), and an autographed card of the late Johnny Oates (I'm so glad I got to meet him.)

14) My parents separated when I was seven and a half. I can trace where I am at this moment in time to that moment. It set the stage for everything else since then. Oh, and did I say it happened 30 years ago this Saturday?

15) I was Mr. Brownlow in the play "Oliver Twist" in the fourth grade.

16) The biggest cities I have been to are New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Nashville, San Diego, Pittsburgh (if you count their airport), Raleigh, Albany, and Hartford.

17) I've only been out of the country once, for 45 minutes, into Tijuana, in 1983.

18) That same summer, on that same vacation, I was in the audience for "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson".

19) I remember exactly where I was on this night 25 years ago (February 22, 1980) when the US Hockey Team defeated the Soviets, 4-3, in the medal round at the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

20) I've wanted to be in radio since I was three years old.

21) I won a state championship in original oratory in 1985, foretelling my future of collecting meager paychecks because I can run my mouth....hee hee.....

22) I attended college in Massachusetts, where I did my first radio airshift (at the college station) and got my first commercial radio job (go Pittsfield!!)

23) After leaving college (and heck, the college closed, too!), I spent a year back home working in management at a hotel, and part-time in radio.

24) I got married on Super Bowl Sunday, January 31, 1988. The Redskins won, beating the Broncos 42-10, and I won, too. :)

25) I was hired to run the operations of Richmond's Christian radio stations in March 1988, a job I would relish for the next nine years.

26) I got to hear Point of Grace's first radio single (I'll Be Believin') before it was ever released (in the offices of Word Records in Nashville).

27) I was an insatiable user of over-the-counter nasal spray, since my very young years....until....

28) I had my deviated septum corrected on Thanksgiving Eve, 2003, and I'm still on the same bottle of CVS Nasal Spray I owned that day. :)

29) I busted my shoulder up real good on June 14, 2004, falling in a softball game, suffering a class three right shoulder separation. Surgery three weeks later, and a total of ten weeks in a sling. Oh, and the shoulder will not heal completely.

30) I once was on a TV news report giving blood.

31) I am the world's biggest advocate of Mountain Dew. There is currently more Mountain Dew in my body than blood.

32) I have two fantastic, wonderful, awesome (did I say fantastic?) children, and one cat with an attitude.

33) My son, Robbie, is about to turn 13 (gulp!), is in 7th grade, and loves Yu-Gi-Oh, his best friend Travis, and Theodore Roosevelt....(long story)....

34) My daughter, Rachel, turns 8 Saturday, acts 30, looks just like her cousin Seka in North Carolina, is in 2nd grade, and, yep, is the apple of my eye. After all....

35) I left radio in 1997 to concentrate on pastoring a small church (I'm still there!), finishing work on my degree, and to be Mr. Mom for my kids. I began watching my daughter daily when she was two months old.

36) A lifelong dream was realized on November 10, 1999, when I began working for WRVA Radio in Richmond, the legendary station of the market, walking the same halls as Tim Timberlake, Lou Dean, Jerry Lund, Deanna Malone, Tim Farley, Pam Overstreet, John Harding, and Millard the Mallard. I couldn't believe I was there. Wow.

37) I love volunteering in my kids' schools; I began by being "co-room mom" with my neighbor in Robbie's kindergarten class.

38) I've been PTA President two times, and PTO President once.

39) I prefer the house steak sauce at Ponderosa to A-1.

40) I graduated from Patrick Henry High School in 1985, and was class treasurer that year....so guess who's been handling the reunion account for the past ten years??

41) I made a quiet and emotional return to Patrick Henry in the fall of 2002 as voice of the Patriots football team on Ashland's radio station.

42) I ran a newspaper route for 14 years. In a October 1991 to early 2000 stretch, I did all seven days every week (with rare exception), up anywhere from 4 to 5am.

43) I estimated that Bonnie and I delivered over 1 million papers during that span. That's a lot of bad news and public notices.

44) I throw (well, when my shoulder gets better) right-handed, I kick with my right foot, but I write with my left hand, play tennis with my left hand, and golf right-handed...but...I putt from the left side because I learned how to play golf with my dad's golf clubs (which were left-handed) when I was eight, and I just feel more comfortable putting from that side.....

45) I've had a psychiatrist since 2003 (no surprise there!)

46) I'm a Baltimore Oriole fan (I once named a cat Al Bumbry)

47) Philippians 4 is my favorite chapter in God's Word.

48) The first time I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail was on a five-inch TV with about a dozen people in a hotel suite in Nashville, Tennessee. Been hooked on it since.

49) I programmed an "all-Christmas" music format every holiday season from 1989 to 1996, before it was "in vogue" to do it. Now you know why I like very little Christmas music to this day....

50) My brother-in-law served in Desert Storm.

51) I got most of my personality from my mama, which is why, now 26 months after her death, I'm still grieving.....

52) I must, must, must eat my food either, A) in a divider plate, or, B) in such a way that the food NEVER touches. Yecch!!

53) White corn is better than yellow corn.

54) I was at the office at the radio station, training a new employee and baby-sitting my four-year old daughter when I heard the news about the World Trade Center early on 9/11.

55) I preached at a revival meeting that night, having no idea waking up that morning what I'd preach on, and as soon as the day unfolded, God reminded me of our Sunday School lesson from two days earlier, "When Fear Comes Calling".

56) I still want to own a radio station before I leave this earth.

57) The only sporting events I really, really want to go to are the ACC Tournament and the Final Four (I've been to the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tourney; incredible experience.)

58) I had my picture taken with Amy Grant, and had her sign it for my then three-year old son.

59) My favorite translation of the Bible is the New Living Translation.

60) I have sleep apnea, so I get to wear that really attractive C-PAP mask at night, automatically assuring less sex.

61) I was a big "chatter" online in the late 90's while at home during the day and found lots of cool friends; I'm still at AIM, but haven't built/rebuilt my buddy list. (Blue67wrva in case you want to look me up)

62) As public as my careers are (radio personality, church pastor), I'm, at heart, a very, very private person, and absolutely love to spend time by myself.

63) I sleep using three pillows and must wear socks to bed.

64) I once bought and drove a Saturn. I'm in year 11 of my vow never to make that same mistake again.

65) Mountain or beach? Doesn't matter, but I love to go to the beach off-season, especially in the dead of winter.

66) I'm going to heaven, 'cuz I love Jesus and he's my Lord (God knows I ain't done nothin' to get there.)

67) I'm thankful to my parents, siblings, childhood friends, high school friends, college friends, radio co-workers and friends, and others for making me look good for the past 37 years and 8 months.

Whew.

So, enough about me. What are facts about you? Don't be afraid.....:)

No comments: