Saturday, December 16, 2006

.....that list you know nothing about, part five (with updates from parts I--IV)....

WJRA and WILD.....

......I've been corrected that Dave Kasale did not deliver eggs in the land of "Johnny and the Marbles". Rose did. I must admit not remembering a character named Rose.

......I also didn't remember that Johnny and Dave were police partners as well as brothers. We should revive this as "Law & Order: The Kasales".

......the game "fumble recovery" on the.....more like, diving onto the bed. Put all the pillows and blankets from my bed and my brother's bed into his bed to create the "defensive line". One of us tries to dive over the line, the other is on the bed as the middle linebacker of sorts. That poor bed, as my brother recently commented. Of course, we'd play until we heard footsteps coming down the creaky wood hallway.

Dad: "What's going on in there??!!??!!"

The Brothers Witham (now in their individual beds looking like they're watching TV): "Oh, nothing, Dad, nothing at all."

Loudest nothing you've ever heard! Oh, and then you can always throw the little football (you know, the kind the cheerleaders throw into the stands at halftime of your local high school football game.....) into the bed with pillows and blankets....and yell "fumble" and watch two guys scramble for the ball as if it were a Victoria's Secret model.

More things......

......Alan Smith and Karna Small anchor the 10 O'Clock News on Channel 5 in Washington.
......I watched some of the first ever episode of "20/20", and yes, if you know anything about this event....the show was THAT BAD.

......I also saw the first-ever "Nightline" with Ted Koppel, March 24, 1980---which, up until that time, had been a weeknightly (is that a word??) special report on the Iran Hostage Crisis. ABC decided to change it to a regular late-night news program which goes to this day. Why was I up at 11:30pm on a Monday night in the 7th grade?? Because earlier that night, I watched Louisville defeat UCLA 59-54 to win the NCAA Basketball Championship.

......the trampoline at elementary school. I never did do a forward flip. Awkward I was, which later led to the demise of my right shoulder in the summer of 2004....

......and kudos again to big brother for reminding me of a most painful day.....during that 7th grade/6th grade softball tournament we played in P.E. for weeks.....one day, the other team's power-hitting lefty came to bat and I switched from left-center to right-center. As I was jogging into position, the ball was hit...DEEP into right-field. I motor it as fast as possible to make the catch and show the position switch to be justifiable and successful.

I ALMOST got to the point of snagging the deep fly ball.......then BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see, the school basketball courts were kinda "behind right field"; you could call the chain-link fence surrounding the courts the "right field wall". But there was something else in that vicinity......right in front of the chain-link fence. That would be a soccer goal.

A soccer goal with a net......and made of....well...the kind of stuff you make soccer goalposts with.

Goalpost? Robbie. Robbie? Goalpost.

The entire left side of my body slams into the goalpost, immediately bringing my journey to the quickest of halts. I had enough wits about me to try to find the ball, which, along with my glove, were behind me kinda entangled or behind the netting. I got the ball, flipped it to my teammate, and, of course, by the time that happened, all the runs had scored.

My long-time next-door neighbor played on the other team, and later told me that, from his point of view back in the dugout, his first thought after I hit the pole was, "Oh, God, is he dead??" We've laughed long and loud about this since.....well, probably the day after it happened.

I look back and realize God was very gracious, allowing this incident to cause NO injury, and, a life full of funny anecdotes. Brian says my run back to the dugout at the end of the inning was somewhat staggered, and my next at-bat was a joke. Three pitches, three swings, have a seat.

What a day. :)


......Brace-Face.

......the orthodontist with halotosis. He was much nicer, though, than the original orthodontist, a very cranky old man. Sorry, but the truth is the truth.

......the opening day of the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee. I was there. Weekend 9th grade French class field trip.

......cowboy baths....

......the ultimate measure of athletic greatness in elementary school: The 600 yard run.

......Frog dissection. Cool!!!

......the first night the air conditioner was in my window in the spring. :)
......the first night the air conditioner was out for the winter. :( NO NOISE!!!!!

......my first dance (8th grade junior high).

......"good job". Those two words led to my first love. Didn't need a pick-up line to hook, line and sinker me, huh?? :)

......The Unknown Comic!!! Gene-Gene the Dancing Machine!!! Tossing my hats at the bedpost, trying to land the hat on said part of furniture.

......the first letter I received from my first love, on my 14th birthday, June 23, 1981.

......let me clue you in that, well, we never became an item. BUT we are friends to this day and I love her dearly (but more like a sister now.....hee hee).

......The Ridge Cinema Theatre.

......"The Top 100 of the 70's" radio special, New Year's Eve 1979 on Q-94 in Richmond, sponsored in part by Tiffany's Bridal, with the jingle, "Tiffany's, where the gowns are!", sung by an average lounge singer.

......come to think of it, that's about all I ever was, too. :)

......WKBW, Buffalo. Music in the nighttime, baby!

......my brother listening to the Lou Dean Show on WRVA.....he was the all-night host at the time.
Unbelievably, I worked with him over 20 years later. I still can't believe that.

......Murphy's Mart in Ashland.

......The Annual Family Day for church, held at the Ladysmith Ruritan Club.

......The Penny Crusade.

......the elderly couple who came as they were able to church on Sundays, driving a Chevrolet Corvair. I would ask myself, "what kind of car is that??"

......and, finally, in this edition.....The Ultra Code.

The perfect lead-in to my high school years---FILLED with stuff you know nothing about.....:)

No comments: