Friday, January 13, 2006

While Bonnie watches "Monk"......

It's the new season premiere, so there'll be no noogie from that side of the great room.....

I'm seated on my Christmas present typing on Bonnie's present, and I have no idea what I'm going to blog about tonight. It's one of those days where, actually, most of what is experienced and/or thought about is "non-Bloggable".

I don't know----maybe it's a good thing, actually. That way, as I return to the sliver of the blogosphere known as "All Things Witham", it may actually become my "escape clause" of the moment. So, let's look at things to blog about for some apparent reason.

And, this disclaimer. If you actually read this entire post, you are officially in need of simply more to live for. :)

1) I am psyched for Sunday night---I have something to look forward to all weekend as I rest, which is cool. We're, what, under 46 hours away from it.

Kiefer was on Letterman last night; spent most of the interview talking about his experience as a road manager for a group signed to his new record label, so not much talk of the show.

On the other hand, Letterman continued to use a "24-Style" split screen, with the kind of clock you see on a tape machine in a TV studio, and, of course, complete with my favorite television sound of all time.....I can't "write" it, but if you've ever seen even one segment of "24", you know what it is....

Dave also did a very simple bit, and it was one of the most hilarious I've seen since I got to start watching him again earlier this year. He just took "roll call". The more it went, the funnier it got. So, if you ever see Kiefer Sutherland listed on an upcoming Dave repeat, WATCH IT.

2) I am gonna take some time tomorrow to take the kids to a record store, a card shop and a Dairy Queen, just the three of us, no matter what. If all I do tomorrow is get up, fix lunch, take them on our trip, come home, and go to bed, I'm gonna do it. I hope this Dairy Queen has burgers.....:) Maybe I'll have a "DQ Sandwich", which is their version of an ice cream sandwich, which I used to order all the time at the DQ near the radio station where I worked in Chester (I miss there...:))

3) Football? I'll see some, maybe. No games are "must-see" to me, except maybe Carolina and Chicago. It should be a defensive war (my favorite type of football game), but, who knows. Lots of Redskins fans are all fired up about the Seattle game. If they are also Virginia Tech fans, the Skins give them something to escape their Hokie misery right now.....

4) SPEAKING OF WHICH.......I, first off, totally agree with the VT decision regarding Marcus Vick. He knew he was under a zero-tolerance policy....

....but can someone tell me why Christian Laettner was only charged a technical foul when he did the same thing on an opponent's stomach in the famous 1992 Duke/Kentucky Regional Final? Technically, he shouldn't have even been on the court to take that last shot. Why wasn't he ejected??

I know, 13 years in between incidents, but, for some reason, that bothers me.


5) The only Alito hearing footage I've seen was a clip on Letterman last night between Spencer and Kennedy. A faction of Christian conservatives (with whom I used to be in lock step with) probably think they're moments away from taking government back to where it should be.

I've come to the conclusion that Christians, by trying to save souls via the Federal and State Government, have done a horrendous job by alienating many people who, well, if we spent our time, money and effort loving people, feeding the poor, opening AIDS hospices rather than point fingers at victims, help Third World Nations do real community and economic growth and viability, etc.

What was the praise chorus circa the 1970's? And they'll know we are Christians by our judicial activism and hope for Republicans to right government (pun intended)?

See folks--you CAN be a conservative and actually agree with liberals on something. We've done lots of talking, and little action. Had we put all our energies into expressing Christ's love to individuals all these years, praying for their salvation, I believe the Holy Spirit would have loved to bring forth a cultural revolution, not via the government, but via the human heart, by way of the Cross.

Remember the St. Francis of Assisi quote from the last post? Go read it. It's true. I'm desperately trying to learn that every day.

Monk's over. Good night!

No comments: