Saturday, September 03, 2005

We end the summer with a great.....eh.....fall.....

So, we FINALLY get a good day off together, just the four of us. I had cancelled my vacation from work due to staff issues, so it was nice to have this day together.

We went to Rachel's school open house to see her room (we know her teacher, Ms. Metzger, as she used to be at Longdale, too) and say hey. We ran up to Ashland to enjoy lunch at a favorite family hangout, the Brick Oven Bistro (discovered by my wife ONLY because it's beside the stinkin' Wal-Mart....hee hee....)

Then, it was off to Busch Gardens.

Highlights of the day:

Robbie's maiden voyage on Apollo's Chariot: Mom's back only lasted one ride on the Loch Ness Monster, so for Robbie, it was go alone, or don't go. He went!!! There are four seats in each row; he rode with a nice lady and her young son. And, looking at him in line and as they returned from the ride, I suspect he talked to her from the moment he walked up in line to the moment they left the coaster. :) He rode it again prior to departure. Me, being an absolute scaredy-cat (I announced my retirement from big roller coasters at age two), was very proud and very impressed by my son. :)

Water water everywhere:

It was hot, but not nearly oppressive. So, the only line we stood in was for Roman Rapids. Great ride; comparable to White Water Canyon at Kings Dominion closer to home. Roman Rapids is faster, and wetter, but a shorter ride than WWC.

Oh, click the link to Roman Rapids if you haven't already and look at the picture. See the huge waterfalls to the left? Thanks to MY WIFE, I went right underneath them. By the last two of 'em, I just closed my eyes and put the ol' head back, thinking, might as well do it right. :) Next time, though, I'll jerk the boat and we'll see who gets wet!! :)

The Log Flume over in Germany? Hardly a line, two trips in a row. The second one, though, shook me up....literally. Obviously there are no struts on the ol' log as we bumped all the way up the hill. Kinda shakes up the ol' stomach and head, ya know??

Robbie and Mom to LochNess Monster, Rachel to the Merry Go Round, both of them to the Tradewinds.....

....and then the Swings.

Robbie and I were returning from Apollos Chariot, near closing time, and meet up with the ladies at the swings. Rachel's a'swingin' away, and the ride stops. Robbie wants to ride with her. He's in line, she runs around to get back in line; we remind her to slow down. She gets in line, then, about a minute later, Robbie is frantic at the door to the entrance. Mom gets up and figures out there's a problem. Dad finally kicks in a few seconds later, sees Rachel on the ground, and I begin running as fast I have since shoulder surgery.

Someone's flip-flop was right in front of the entrance, and Rachel stepped on it, fell, and twisted her ankle. The ride operator called for an EMT. The two gentlemen who arrived were wonderful. She wasn't seriously hurt (no break, etc---thank God!!), but needed a wrap, and in no way could she walk all the way back to the parking lot, some, oh, eight miles away.

Mom wants to see if they have some wheels. They can't promise, but within a minute, they are available. We just have to walk some. So....

Dad tries to pick her up. You know, instinct of Dad carrying daughter to safety. I shouldn't have. My shoulder hurts again, and I probably came close to undoing what the surgeon did 15 months ago.

So, she gets a ride on Mom's back to the Ambulance, and we get a full ride right to the van in the parking lot. First time any of the four of us had been in an ambulance (again, Thank God!).

Then, it's off to home.

So----we enjoy our day together, in spite of Mom's back, Dad's tummy, and, most importantly, Rachel's ankle.

As usual, you know....when the Withams do something, something MUST happen to make it memorable. :)

Coming soon: summer in review.

TOMORROW: Church, a nap, and I'm drafting live online at NFL.com tomorrow night.

MONDAY: Rest, some time at work, hang with the family, blog some more, and hopefully get in one or two more grilled burgers. :)

OH-----I HAVE TO CLOSE WITH THIS:

We get in the drive-thru to Chick-Fil-A when back in town last night, and, while surveying the menu board, my wife asks, "Now, what kind of burger do they have with lettuce and tomato?"

What word doesn't fit in that sentence?

I informed the employee as she gave us our food, and she said the staff would forgive my wife this time. :)


Eat mor chikin!!

No comments: