Thursday, July 28, 2005

Various thoughts and observations.....

First!

Today's Advertising Cliche from hell:

"Operators are standing by!"

First, they don't make them stand. (I know, that's a matter of semantics) Second, if I'm in any way using phones as a way of pushing product, I would not:

A) Leave the phone off the hook;
B) Summarily fire all the operators;
C) Go deliquent on the phone bill.

Go ahead. Call them. Someone's there. I already know it. Don't insult me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--A Pro and a Con regarding Natalee Holloway:

Pro: It's good not to let her fade into the background of our conscience, until there is some sort of closure.

Con: There are lots of other similar stories out there and we don't know about them. So, what makes one "newsworthy" and another not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of which:

Did you get this story?

So, your son isn't sitting properly. Has it annoyed me with my kids? Sure--everyone goes through it, and, like me, I'm sure you did because YOU CARED FOR YOUR CHILD'S SAFETY.

I don't think we can apply that logic here. Otherwise, she wouldn't have bumped into him with her vehicle for good measure to make sure he didn't get back in.

Nuts. Absolutely nuts. Can't wait to see the penalty here. She should never have the child again (duh!), and I don't know what the sentence guidelines are. Whatever they are, make it the maximum, and remind me to complain when this happens that the maximum sentence wasn't enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife just belched. On the 1-10 scale, it was a definite "9".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the hub-bub over Jessica Simpson? Was this really a "Christian Resistance" group calling for her to re-shoot her video, or is it a joke, or is it some sort of wacko ultra-right wing group that should be ignored? I'm not linking. I looked. Too weird!

Apparently, from what I've read, you cannot ignore certain portions of Simpson's anatomy during the video. For her sake, I hope she doesn't look like sis Ashlee sang at the Orange Bowel in January......

Oh, and after seeing the "Dukes of Hazzard" trailer before Star Wars the other week, my son, a HUGE Dukes fan, was completely unimpressed. He has no desire to watch the movie.

I hated the TV show. I'd only watch the movie if I were paid six figures, and then I'd sneak a blindfold into the theatre with me....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guilty pleasure while working hour after hour? Live365.com.

Great place to hear music; the commercial interruptions are bearable, and there's a premium subscription available that cuts them out (but that hurts my feelings, seeing as I make a living in connection w/commercials).

I enjoy several 80s stations. Now if someone could just do a Contemporary Christian station that runs both today's music and great hits of 1985-2000. I've only found one Classic Christian station, but they seem stuck in the Jesus People years. That just wasn't my cup of tea.

But I do enjoy throwing down on "This Is The Way Love Is" by The 77's, circa 1990.

The song I REALLY, REALLY want to find a recording of is Undercover's remake of, yes the classic hymn, "Holy, Holy, Holy". LOVED this song in college when playing it on the old WCWL-FM.

Of course, at a Christian college, you "weren't supposed to dance". If memory serves me correctly, when we'd play this song, those in attendance at above said radio station would immediately run into the station office (so as not to make the record skip on the air), and begin slam-dancing!!!! If it wasn't slam-dancing, it was tremendous amounts of jumping up and down (viva la 80s!!!) You couldn't help it.

Maybe one day, I'll get my hands on that CD Box Set.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the kids head to separate (and hopefully equal) sleepovers tomorrow night, so, I'm supposed to come home to an empty house (save the missus, of course). Fridays are not my "gotta work late" day, because I have to have all my commercial copy in and ready to go Friday mid-afternoon so my friends in the party room, the girls in traffic, can finish their jobs.

So, Thursday night is stay late night. But, Friday will suffice in that I can start working ahead on next week, and maybe, just maybe, get far enough ahead to sneak out a day and take the family to Busch Gardens, since the vacation week was cancelled.

Then my name wouldn't be quite as "mud" at home as it is right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in closing....Proverbs 21:9 states: "It is better to in a corner of the housetop than with a brawling woman in a wide house." (KJV)

The NLT is nicer...."It is better to live alone in the corner of an attic than with a contentious wife in a lovely home."

Here, go and read Matthew Henry's take on the verse.

Then, before you go commenting on my horrific attitude toward women and vindictive use of God's Word.....see my tongue slide out of the cheek....

:)

No comments: