Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Hallmark's missing a category.....

Okay, so a great co-worker, colleague, and friend, is leaving my department Friday to bravely tackle the world of cycling.

Things to do:

--Load him up with work...(just kidding)
--Thank him for all his contributions....
--Buy a card and get the staff to sign it...

Wait. What kind of card?

"Goodbye"?---Too final. Like, we'd want to stay in touch and see how he and his family are doing. Gosh, I christened his daughter, I gotta know how proud she makes her mom and dad!

"Thank You"?---Yes, but where's the "send-off" element and the look to the future? Plus, thoughtful people can send thank you notes for no apparent reason. (Wish I was more thoughtful like that....)

"We'll Miss You"?---Closer, yes. But let's not ignite false hopes. If he visits a year from now, someone will be in his studio, doing what used to be his work, and, only because a company must do so, it will be very apparent that we have "moved on".
So.....do they miss you now???

So, I contend Hallmark is missing a niche here. I'm not even sure what to call it.

"As you continue your career"?
"Best Wishes in your Life Change"? No, sounds like menopause.
"Thanks for the Pickle You Left Us In"? Obviously not.

How about....

"Don't forget us, and we won't forget you"?

Well, I guess I'll find the best one I can at the CVS tomorrow morning. Then the staff can personalize it and say things like...

"Great working with you"
"Best wishes"

and, my personal favorite to write in cards like this....

"Can I borrow ten bucks before you go?"

No comments: