Friday, June 03, 2016

Song #386: "Carolina In The Pines"--Michael Martin Murphey (1975)

1975 was a pretty good year for Michael Martin Murphey.

He released his fourth album, "Blue Sky, Night Thunder", and scored huge with the lead single, "Wildfire", a song that, over three decades later, David Letterman began to play on The Late Show nightly for no apparent reason, eventually leading to inviting Murphey to come on the show to sing it live.

Yep, we certainly had the "Wildfire" single at the parsonage, but, in the long run, my favorite song from Murphey was the second single, released in August of that year. WRVA and WLEE played plenty of it, we grabbed the single, too, and now, 31 years later, it takes me back to a tough, but more simple time in my life.

My Dad was still recovering from a heart attack, money was very, very low, and it was just us three guys at the house after my parents began divorce proceedings. But those 86 cent singles from Woolco and Woolworth at Azalea Mall were gold to me, and Pop figured out a way to grab a few from time to time when he did the grocery shopping, me settling into third grade.

I think of Carolina (North, thank you), I think of Dad, my brother, and good times in spite of circumstances. We all need a reminder from time to time that we can do that.  :)


No comments: