Saturday, June 18, 2016

Song #371: "Tell Her About It"--Billy Joel (1983)

MTV was into its third year, I got to see it once or twice a year when I headed to visit my brother down in Clayton, North Carolina, but I did get "Friday Night Videos" on NBC, if I stayed up late enough, of course. Remember, "Late Night with David Letterman" was four nights a week at the time.

It was likely on FNV that I first saw "BJ and The Affordables"....er....ah....Billy Joel and his band, doing "The Ed Sullivan Show" with this, the debut single from his smash album, "An Innocent Man".

Joel ended up releasing seven singles from the album, the second, "Uptown Girl", with a video featuring some lady named Christie Brinkley. Plus there was the title track, and another song that harkened back to the "doo-wop" days, "The Longest Time". Now, this wasn't my favorite Billy Joel LP, in fact, I didn't own it. As the countdown continues, it will become very apparent which Joel album I cherished then, and cherish now.

This may be the only song in the Top 500 that made it more on the strength of the video than the actual song. Whenever this comes on the radio to this day, I'm immediately transported to watching Rodney Dangerfield, and, of course, Petrushka The Dancing Bear. :) :)




No comments: