Sunday, June 25, 2006

Songs that make me go "Wah!!"

My musical companion at work is Live 365, as I've built a preset list of over 30 channels, either 80s, 70s, or Contemporary Christian. Inevitably, as the day goes on (I wear headphones, kinda, one ear on, one off), there comes a song that, well, has a good shot at making me the recipient of this question from a co-worker.....

.....Rob? Are you alright?

It just means I've completed another session with a song that brings the tears. Five years ago, I couldn't have a cry if I wanted to. Now, as I've mentioned before, it's a totally different story.

So, these are some that do the trick; those in bold are pretty much guaranteed to do it every time.....

--Babe, Styx
--The Best of Times, Styx
--Don't Let It End, Styx
--With You I'm Born Again, Billy Preston and Syreeta
--Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, Elton John
--Nights In White Satin, Moody Blues
--I Know You're Out There Somewhere, Moody Blues
--What's New?, Linda Ronstadt with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra--The Way You Look Tonight, Phil Collins (live version)
--Separate Lives, Phil Collins and female singer (live version---the original from the White Nights Soundtrack sucks. I know, I used to have to play it on the radio.)
--Beauty and the Beast, Peabo Bryson and Celine Dion
--A Whole New World, Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle
--At This Moment, Billy Vera and the Beaters
--It Was A Very Good Year, Frank Sinatra
--Theme from Mahogany, Diana Ross
--Sea of Love, The Honeydrippers
--I Want to Know What Love is, Foreigner
--Chiquitita, Abba
--The Winner Takes It All, Abba
--All Out of Love, Air Supply
--Could've Been, Tiffany (yes, I know, Tiffany)
--One More Night, Phil Collins
--Against All Odds, Phil Collins
--Like It Or Not, Genesis
--Alone, Heart
--Eternal Flame, Bangles
--Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx
--Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler (I hated this song in high school)
--If I Could Turn Back Time, Cher
--Endless Love, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
--Another Auld Lang Syne, Dan Fogelberg


You can assume that a few of the ones near the bottom of the list do the most emotional work, but this list is not in order. I will say, though, the champion song is the last listed, as I'm usually gone before Dan even sings "Met...".

More? Yeah; I'll find 'em and update this. I'm not ashamed to admit, as an 80s tune once kinda crooned, I have "..sad songs to make me cry".

Good night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - how about the National Anthem, Proud to be an American (Lee Greenwood), God Bless America.........