Friday, June 23, 2006

I think I really do feel like 39.......

'In the year of thirty-nine'


Don't you hear my call
Though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
Write your letters in the sand
For the day I'll take your hand
In the land that our grand-children knew


From: "'39" by Queen (A Night at the Opera--1976)



I am, now, in my "year of 39". I know, it's really the start of my 40th year, but I can look at it with two mindsets. My 40th year is preparing and facing the future, while the "year of 39" encompasses here and now.

So, the lyrics quoted above make some sense as I close out this 39th birthday. Looking ahead, I call....even to those who are "many years away".......

The call is heard immediately by family, friends close and far, and others, and, one day, the call will reach future generations, hopefully. (Don't you hear me calling you?)

To those to come, Lord willing, in my life, sign in on the sand so I know your name when we take hands, especially my grandchildren whose land we will occupy.

I could sit here and type a thousand names of people who have come through my life thus far, all bringing their own unique contribution to, well, me. I'd love to meet a thousand more! And there are several great friends, that, quite frankly, I don't want to live without, and one who I can't live without at this point in life.

So, I welcome you to my "year of 39" or the kickoff of my "40th anniversary yearlong celebration", your choice. My attendance was mandatory.

--------------------------------------------------------

This week at work was, ah, busy. Gee, everybody shocked to read that? That's fine, I'd always rather be too busy than too idle. Besides, God told me not to worship idles....ah....I mean idols. Maybe that's why I don't watch American Idol.

--------------------------------------------------------

My best friend at work was on vacation this week, so I hope she and her family had a wonderful week on the sand, near the waves.....yeah, they went to Wyoming. :)

--------------------------------------------------------

Now, the wifey is facing her "40" in ten days......I say we fly in the cast of Grey's Anatomy, send her with them to a fancy eatin' place (aka restaurant), then the cast can mingle with us family, maybe even do some karaoke.....

.....and allow the wifey to have a private table with Patrick Dempsey.

Hey, hey!! I'll be with her at midnight, not him! :) Better ask her, though, if that would be her plan. Oh, and Dempsey hit 40 in January so he can give her advice.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now, THIS is excellent!! I always knew June 23rd was special (in no small part thanks to me!), but now it's official. Check out THIS.......

-------------------------------------------------------

Question to the nation at large: When the Ford television commercial featuring Taylor Hicks (Mr. American Idol) comes on, do you find yourself turning your head away from the screen like I do?? Has nothing to do with his physical attributes. Everything to do with the song.

-------------------------------------------------------

Well, I asked the fam to hold off on the birthday gift until Saturday, so we'd have plenty of time. My request? Go out to eat, of course!!!! But, then I understand Rachel went to Mom and asked what "we were getting Dad for his birthday". Mom's explanation of going out being the gift didn't suffice. Apparently her desire was for knowing what SHE would be giving! So, Mom says we'll be going to Wal-Mart after eating (could I divert the van to Target?? Please??) so she can get something for Dad. I have a few ideas on CD's I might like. :)

Well, Match Game '74 is less than 10 minutes away, so I close and remind myself to come back and change my age on the profile at the top right of this boring blog.

I was seven when the show was first aired.

I ain't seven no more. :) Good night, friends!

No comments: