Saturday, February 04, 2006

Barksdale is back where it belongs!

114 seats.

That's all there is in the original Barksdale Theatre, at Hanover Tavern. And, after a 10 year absence, the magic has returned in a beautifully renovated facility that hasn't changed the ambience one bit.

Remember, Patrick Henry, John Marshall, and many others slept there.....

I went to two plays in the theatre before it was closed and renovated over the past ten years. I'm SO glad it's back.

There we are, to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary, on the front row on the left side, close enough where I can touch stage props. There'll never be a better place to watch theatre (sorry, Broadway---and I've been there.)

And, they selected a marvelous production to begin the new era. Neil Simon's 1963 comedy, Barefoot in the Park. Bonnie's seen the movie; I know nothing about it. So, she's spending the show comparing it to the movie, while I'm watching the story of Paul and Cory unfold for the first time.

And, in a word, the show is.....HILARIOUS.

Click here to see the review from the Richmond Times-Dispatch. It's dead on, except I didn't see Cory as over the top in the first scene.

Tremendous, tremendous. You live in Richmond, go see it. It ends March 5th. It will be an evening while spent.

Later this spring, "No Sex Please, We're British"; that oughta be a hoot. I hope to be there again.

WELCOME BACK BARKSDALE!!!

No comments: