Friday, September 03, 2004

Lots to pray about, or, I wish I were back working in news tonight...

It's almost time for the 630pm network news tonight, and, as I listened to my 5 inch TV at work (yep, I was still at work!), I thought to myself, what in the world is the lead story???

--Hurricane Frances bears down on Florida
--Former President Clinton hospitalized; heart surgery coming
--More than 200 killed in Russian School Terrorist Attack
--RNC Over; Bush/Kerry fighting on the stump

Well, politics should, and did, take a back seat...

With some anchors already in Florida, Frances came first on CBS and NBC. Peter Jennings over on the French-Canadian Channel...I...I mean ABC, started, admirably, with the Russian tragedy. That should have been first.

Reason? First, it's a stupid tragedy. Seeing children injured not just physically, but seemingly brainwashed by fear and horror. Just look at their faces as they were being helped out and given medical treatment. Second, it should remind us of the steps our terrorist enemies are willing to take to hurt, disrupt, and, quite frankly, destroy us (that's their ultimate goal, whether you want to believe it or not or whether you think they can do it or not...)
Muslim extremists will stop at nothing; they are taught to kill the enemy, the infidel. They won't capitulate or compromise when it comes to final outcomes. More than 200 people's lives being taken for NO reason just underscores this point....

Second should be Frances. It's an "upcoming" story rather than "ongoing/concluding". Yes, it's "ongoing" for evacuees, and I'm not diminishing the importance of this (remember, we had Gaston, the supposedly punchless storm, destroy part of our downtown Monday night), but the Russian story, for the moment, deserved top billing to inform us of, first, the tragedy, and second, the fact that the enemies in the war on terror have no boundaries of taste.

After Frances, we look at the surprising news regarding President Clinton. Politically, I couldn't/can't stand him. His attempt at "sermonizing" in New York last Sunday made me mad; I try not to "spin" in the pulpit, just preach Truth. Clinton was his usual best in "spinning" behind their mic.

They showed him at a book signing in Louisiana on Wednesday, I believe, and he did not look good; he looked weak and fatigued. Now we know why....our prayers need to be with him, Hillary, Chelsea, and the entire family. My father had bypass surgery in 1987, and, yes, since then, many consider this to have become "normal surgery", but whenever you're messing with the heart, there is no such thing as a "normal surgery", so keep the former President lifted up in prayer for a complete recovery.

Finally, we can let politics come into play. Bush/Kerry....Bush/Kerry....let it begin. Time says Bush is up 11 points....I'd like to be happy with that, but I don't think it's true, plus, Labor Day polls are pretty much meaningless. I'll start looking at them after October 20th.

Can you tell I've spent the better part of 20 years in the media??
I would LOVE to have been the executive producer of a national newscast tonight, deciding what to cover first, and how extensive to cover each issue.....

Oh, and the political spinning of Clinton's surgery has already begun. My first thought was, "that takes him off the campaign trail", but I heard a comment on the news tonight that I had to agree with....this could be a rallying point for Kerry, i.e., win one for Bill, so to speak. Ironic that Clinton will probably have more influence on the results of the '04 election than he could have in 2000, when Al Gore basically kept him at arm's length, asking him to stay...hide....disappear in the Rose Garden.

REVIEW OF PRAYER NEEDS TONIGHT:

--The injured children and teachers in Russia, and especially the families of those who've lost loved ones, especially children.
--The people of Florida for protection from Frances
--Fmr. President Clinton and his family

What a week. Massive flash flooding Monday....I worked 38.5 hours the past 3 days, didn't see my family for 2 days, got to Robbie's middle school orientation, missed Rachel's elementary orientation today (which really ticked me off because I STILL haven't been in the new school!!), and now all these headlines and events.

SHOUT-OUTS: To Blonde Sagacity, and Leah Simone, two of my favorite blogs. Thanks for the kind words from y'all (y'all is Southern for "you guys"...hee hee....)

I have a constant feed of the NBC affiliate in Miami streaming here on the computer, watching their local coverage of Frances approaching. For a weather junkie like me, it's about the "best fix" there could be.

MUSIC TODAY: Tony Vincent's 1995 debut album from Star Song, especially the songs "High" and "Out of My Hands". Synth based, drum-infused 90s Christian pop. His career is going in a different direction now, quite interesting.

I'm going into a new rotation of CD's and am so glad to have such a variety of Christian CD's, and glad I'm rebuilding my collection of the "music of my youth", i.e., the 80s and much of the 70s.

In fact, my wife has already asked me to compile my wish list for Christmas....maybe I'll throw a list together, blog it, then get you to offer your suggestions (approaching 40, I find myself forgetting more and more....I think it's because my brain needs to be defragged!)

God protect the people of Florida, and comfort our brothers and sisters in Russia....

Rob

1 comment:

soulestuary said...

hey now, i'm approaching 40 and my memory works great....well, as far as i can remember it, lol.

seeing clinton place the wreath at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier used to give me the shivers: how dare he. and, except for the slight case of cynicism i have, i do hope he fairs the surgery well.

the families in Russia is what disturbs me; makes me feel blessed to live here in the USA, not matter how goofy the politics can be in it. i lit a candle tonight for them, as well as for those who Frances might encounter (could be us here in sc). i believe mankind is only as strong as his brother; here's hoping the world learns to live with each other better.