Sunday, September 05, 2004

Labor Day: Events, Traditions, Changes

Labor Day Weekend.....means lots of things.....

--College Football season is getting underway. My NC State Wolfpack destroyed the hometown Richmond Spiders, 42-0, a result to be expected unfortunately for the Spiders....

--Summer vacation is OVER---and we've gone through the "go to school and see the class" routine, except I made one and missed one. So, Tuesday morning, I WILL be walking Rachel into her brand new school, for she will not start there without her dad knowing where her class is and who her teacher is....period. :)

--Time for the pool to close: Our family CEO reports, with the seven-day forecast the way it is, that if we don't get in the pool tomorrow, it's over. I haven't taken the plunge yet this year (thanks, shoulder....)

--Jerry Lewis---what a comic genius, even at 77, and he's still ticking every Labor Day. The telethon was a not-to-be-missed event for me as a kid; I collected money and made pledges and tried to stay up all night watching it several times. For the all the crap he's taken over the years (i.e.--he's exploiting these people to raise money), he's never missed a beat. So, while I may not endorse everything he does or believes (heck, I don't endorse everything I do!), I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, and I dread the first Labor Day after his death. Maybe neuromuscular disease can die first, that's certainly my preference!

--NASCAR in......California??? It was inevitable, with NASCAR's push nationwide. You want to expand your audience; so, you use the holiday weekend in which "SC" to widen your presence?

A) South Carolina
B) Southern California

It's a no-brainer. A sad day for the tradition that is Darlington, but it's a new era for NASCAR. With anything in life, with growth comes change and adaptation.

--Another Weekend We Stay Home: It's pretty much a Witham family rule...we do NOT travel on holiday weekends unless we really, really have to. Too much traffic, too many idiots on the road, just not worth it, when there are around 47 other weekends year-round to choose from.

So, my month of blogging 'til 1 or 2am come to an end, as I'll begin the day at 630am effective Tuesday. I'm the bus in the AM, Mom handles the PM (our children do NOT ride the cesspool called the School Bus in our county; if my mom isn't the driver, it's not good enough!)

Good thing; puts me to work earlier....but does that really mean I'll get home earlier???? We'll see......

SHOUT-OUT: To Jason and Eileen Wiltshire, our new missionary friends we finally got to meet today. They were in town to visit Jason's grandma (our Elsie Rusnak) and they shared with us their work so far in Romania, where they will go full-time to minister in about a year. They both have a servant's heart and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to hang out with them a few moments today!

Enjoy your holiday, brush your teeth, take out your pressed clothes, and look out for kids crossing streets, ok? :)

Rob




No comments: