Monday, September 20, 2004

Game II: Patrick Henry 55, Atlee 0

This is my third season calling Patrick Henry football games. Tonight's performance was as close to perfect as I've seen.

We were "rained/stormed/tornadoed" out Friday night, so the make-up game was tonight (Monday), in front of alot less fans, unfortunately. Usually a Friday night game pitting two Hanover County High Schools would draw thousands. Monday night is another story, and that hurts the budget of the school's athletic department. That stinks.

Patrick Henry scored touchdowns on its first six possessions of the first half. With :38 to go in the half, they got the ball back. They took a knee to end the half. So, technically, you could say, "and on the 7th possession, they rested."

42-0 at the half. RJ Waters shows no sign of leg cramps tonight with 8 carries, 157 yards, and 4 TD's. Bruce Mines gets a TD, Troy Leftwich broke one open, so did week one star Dean Thomas, and back-up QB Jordan Harris got his 2nd of the season, too. Atlee had 2 yards total offense in the first half and didn't make a 1st down 'til their opening drive of the 2nd half.

PH had 290 yards of rushing offense....in the first half. They only attempted one pass all night. They didn't need to pass. What a performance.

Now, a quick turnaround to Friday night's Tomato Bowl, as PH looks to beat their biggest rival, Lee-Davis. This is the first Tomato Bowl in Ashland since 2001. Lee-Davis won tonight, too (we went off the air so early I got to hear the end of their game on the radio...and honestly, I think we do a better broadcast. :) )
so both teams are coming into Friday with victories.

It will be more of a game than the first two, but I don't see Patrick Henry losing unless the youngsters get too cocky and ahead of themselves after these first two games, winning them by a combined 96-12. I see no reason that PH shouldn't be 5-0 going into the home game with Freeman October 15th. We'll see...and I'll bring you the highlights every Friday night (or Monday if twisters break out again.....)

OTHER THOUGHTS:

--We'd like to thank Dan Rather for joining us. How many CBS'ers really wish HE was retiring at year's end rather than Brokaw at NBC?

--We had the "PTA or PTO" debate at school last week, and I'm holding comment until the final vote is announced and the group begins to form. Then, trust me, I'll have plenty to say. Meanwhile, if you STILL don't believe the National PTA doesn't have any political agenda, look who they're partnering with for a "get out the vote and make schools better for our kids" event this week at one of my favorite sites in the world.

--Today's my buddy Kim's birthday. She's such a dear person, I can't believe I've only known her 5 years. Don't know what I'd do without her. Love you, Kim.....funny, you don't look 54....:)

--Rachel made an "office cubicle" to take to school tonight. It's so cute.

--Robbie got a tin of Yu-Gi-Oh cards last night since Mom didn't find him anything on her weekend shopping excursion to Williamsburg. It was me and the kids from noon Saturday to 630pm Sunday, and I'm happy to report I remembered how to be the chief domestic operator, and the house didn't burn or fall down. :)

See, I was "stay-at-home dad" from May 1997 to November 1999, to this day, two and one half of the best spent years of my life. :)

More later....gotta make sure I have a pair of clean shorts to wear to work in the morning, when the 8am temperature will be 50, and people will complain to me, "HOW CAN YOU WEAR SHORTS IN WEATHER LIKE THIS???". I'll say, "shorts season is now just gettin' started!!" :)

No comments: