Monday, June 04, 2007

Looking Back, Looking Ahead, Part 1 of ??

Anyone who knows me knows I'm very historical by nature, and also sentimental. So, therefore, what better time than now to look back, and at now, and ahead....

Tonight, random reminders of what the world hath wrought since June 23, 1967:

--On June 23, LBJ meets Soviet Premier Kosygin in New Jersey for three days of talking face to face, and muttering to aides between sessions. That day, Dr. Bullock also met me for the first time, and muttered to himself, "...there goes my streak of delivering cute babies...."

--Four days later, the first ATM machine (Yes! It was voucher-based) was installed in Barclays Bank in England. Later that day, my first credit card application came in the mail.

--October 2, 1967: Thurgood Marshall is sworn in as the first African American justice of the United States Supreme Court.

--November 7, 1967: LBJ signs the "Public Broadcasting Act of 1967", setting up the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. I would benefit for many pre-teen years thanks to Letterman, Jennifer of the Jungle, Fargo North Decoder, Ernie and Bert, Guy Smiley, and more.

Can you tell me if the Electric Company now serves Sesame Street??

More to come......

No comments: