Monday, June 11, 2007

....1969 and beyond....

....and we move on, looking at what I hath...well, I didn't....I lived while it was wrought....

"I guarantee it."---Joe Namath.

January 12---Super Bowl III---Jets 16, Colts 7.
January 19---One of my all-time favorite people born.
January 20---Nixon inaugurated as President. For years in my youth, I thought Nixon was always President, because he's the only one I'd see anywhere!
February 4---Yassar Arafat becomes head of PLO---Pizza Hut stocks soar on news as they order hundreds of thousands of new tablecloths.....
February 5---The U.S. population hits 200 million (I, a tiny crumb, as it were...)
March 1---Mickey Mantle announces retirement
April 17---Sirhan Sirhan convicted for assassinating RFK
May 10---Apollo 10 sends first ever color pictures of Earth to..well, Earth!
May 11---The birth of Monty Python, creators of the greatest film ever made
June 3---Final episode of Star Trek on NBC (the show was just getting started...)
June 15---Hee Haw premieres. My Saturday nights are cemented for years to come.

Warren Burger becomes Chief Justice on birthday #2 (I later was at a dinner which he attended, 16 years later).

July 16---Apollo 11 lifts off.
July 18---Sen. Ted Kennedy goes off a bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, MA. Mary Jo Kopechne dies in the crash. She doesn't get to see....

July 20---Apollo 11 lands on lunar surface; Neil Armstrong steps onto lunar surface, opening the latest U.S. golf course.

NOTE: When they got back July 24th, the astronauts were placed in "biological isolation" for several days, to make sure they didn't bring back "lunar germs". They didn't.

August 15---Woodstock begins, bringing mud to an almost worship level for a new generation.

August 17---Hurricane Camille slams into Mississippi.
August 19---Camille dumps horrific amounts of rain in the Virginia mountains; crippling Nelson County, causing record flooding in Richmond on the James River, and set out to the Atlantic, passing Virginia Beach on 8/20.

September 6---H.R. Pufnstuf hits TV screens while I get yet another diaper change.
October 16---The "Miracle Mets" destroy my Orioles four games to one. Only they weren't my Orioles yet.
November 10---Sesame Street premieres, bringing me one step closer to my imaginary friend, Susan. Yes, I had a female imaginary friend. :) :)


Oh, crap--I'm older than:

Christy Turlington
WWE Superstar Batista
Marilyn Manson (I'm also much, much more handsome!)
Jennifer Aniston (..don't think she'd think me handsome...or even look in my general direction! Oh, well....)
Joe Buck (HE'S GOT MY JOB!!!)
Renee Zellweger
Cate Blanchett
Emmitt Smith
Tracey Gold
Steffi Graf
John LeClair
Jennifer Lopez
Triple H
Diane Farr (Numb3rs---she's PRETTY!!)
Rachel Hunter
Gwen Stefani
Brett Favre
Nancy Kerrigan
Juan Gonzalez (I saw him hit an HR in the Metrodome in 1998, his MVP year)
Ellen Pompeo (Greys Anatomy, one of wifey's 26 favorite TV shows)
Ken Griffey, Jr (we all thought HE would be in Barry Bonds' position today)
Mariano Rivera (those stinkin' Yankees)
Kristy Swanson

I'M AFRAID I CAN'T REMEMBER......

President Dwight Eisenhower
Maureen Connolly
Judy Garland
Mary Jo Kopechne
Sharon Tate
Rocky Marciano
Sonja Henie

Onto 1970.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hummmm.... I can remember your un rememorables