Thursday, July 20, 2006

Only took me 39 YEARS TO GET TO MONTICELLO!!!!!

Yeah, you know. Live in Virginia all but a year of your life, and you think, you think, after passing the exit who knows how many times, I would be nice enough to at least stop a few minutes and say HELLO TO THE THIRD PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES??? Well, and a few other things......(Declaration of What, you say?)

If Jefferson is your passion, you can just about make a day of it. If you're a history buff, several hours will work. Not sure? Devote a few hours, and you'll be glad you went.

I found the visit, especially the house tour, most interesting, and, incredibly, the most, most interesting part of the visit was discovering all the contraptions he made about, oh, 150 years ahead of his time. :)

Skylights (an idea stolen from Europe)
The clock you crank once a week at the front door
The one door that closes two.
The 6' 2 1/2' man who sleeps in a 6' 3" bed tucked into a perfectly made hole in the bedroom.

All pretty cool. All things I never saw in my Social Studies books....

See? You oughta go!

I'm being serious, it's an excellent trip for history sake, ESPECIALLY if you live in Virginia and have never been there. Get off that list. Like I did.

Click here for all the info you need........

PLUS...click here for info on the place just down the road from Tom's where I want to visit next. It's a shame this guy's house is so close to Monticello, otherwise he would get more publicity......

No comments: