Friday, March 31, 2006

Random Friday thoughts.......

1) I can never praise God enough for keeping me from getting the bug that befell the rest of the family. :)

2) The lady on Numb3rs is pretty (my wife's watching it), and I didn't know she started in radio.

3) A week is good when you can add the phone numbers of an old friend to your cell phone. That means the "circle of friends" is one step closer to not just being a "dot" anymore. Communication is, ah, pretty important, eh?

4) Coming up is my first Final Four on big screen TV. Now THAT I'm looking forward to.

5) If George Mason wins tomorrow, I tape "24" and watch the whole championship game. If they lose, I watch "24", then watch the 2nd half of the game, because the other three teams don't matter (my default would be LSU, that "Baby" guy, the freshman they've got, is the real deal...)

6) If everyone who read this blog sent me a penny, I still wouldn't have enough money to vacuum out my van. :)

7) Take a moment (won't need long if you're like me), and think about the issues you are in. Disease? Medicinal? Mental? Relationship? Addiction?.....

-------I can guarantee you this: wherever you are--you are not the only one there.

8) Does that justify where you are and staying there? Depending upon your situation, the answer could be a definite NO, or, it's a circumstance out of your control, or justification could even be an irrelevant point. But if the "I'm the only one in the world going through this" mentality is present, be advised it's a lie.

9) Trust me, from a lifelong sufferer of OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), you just know no one else could be dealing with the issues and obstacles this disorder brings. But, click on the above link, and discover what I did. I'm not alone.

10) I think I've discussed this before, but I've had a tremendously difficult time since we moved our offices around at work. For various reasons, I felt/feel disconnected and thus, OCD symptoms tend to flare due to stress levels rising.

11) Thus, if someone was smoking just outside our office window, they might think I'm an absolute freak when they see the physical repercussions of the thoughts that go through the OCD mind.

12) A long time ago, I came to grips with this issue. Many in the Christian faith would look at me and go, "Well, brother you just don't have enough faith!! If you had more faith, God would heal you!!" (Insert southern drawl into voice of last quote if you so choose....)

13) Others in the faith would say, "oh, God has given you this disorder to help others...". Bullcrap. God doesn't hand out disorders, diseases, and general catastrophe. They happen because of our existence. My brain is wired the way it is due to the genes I received at conception, not because God came down that night shortly after my parents conceived me and took five minutes to scramble my brain.

14) This is the real deal, and what I live by: I have OCD. God can heal me from it, and, one day He will. It may come miraculously one day, it may be severely minimized by medicinal or behavorial therapy. Or....one day....when I breathe my last, and I get home to heaven, I will enter there OCD-free. So, I know the healing is coming one day....that's not currently my focus.

15) My focus is to be as open as humanly possible about its presence in my life, so I can reach out to those who have it, those who have it and think they're alone in the battle, those who love those who have it, and, and this is an important group, those who don't have it. Educating them is key to helping OCD patients live more freely, and not thought of as the circus sideshow. (Come, see Rob Witham---The Counts By Four Until He Gets to Ten Thousand, But Starts All Over Each Time He Makes a Mistake Or Misspeaks Man!)

16) Shouts and props to my friend and producer Jason at work, who churns out the commercials by the dozen, and still has time to handle
this,
too!

17) Have a great weekend; enjoy the hoops; learn from the lesson of losing an hour of sleep (?); and I'll try to sleep less, and drink more........





........Pepsi.

Just wanted to see if you were thinking otherwise. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - sounds like some of my debates with you about what God does and doesn't do!!
Scary!