Thursday, November 24, 2005

Things I'm thankful for as Thanksgiving winds down.....

Mind you, this list could hardly be called "exhausting", it's just a few thoughts on my mind this evening.

1) I'm thankful that I got out of bed this morning. For those of you who don't know me or have stumbled across this blog, this is meaningful, honest! Yes, I'm thankful God gave me another day, but on many days off the past few years, I simply wouldn't get out of bed (like last Saturday for example.) I'd spend the day sleeping. Bonnie was leaving for Food Lion around 10, I thought for a minute, asked her if she'd mind some company, and got up and went with her!

Then we picked up the kids from Aunt Sherry's, and I don't know what the kids thought when I was actually with their mom. You knew they figured mom would pick us up and "dad would still be in bed". Well, whaddya know.

I did lie down this evening, but not 'til after 6pm, after Thanksgiving w/the in-law crew, and, well, I was having a hard time keeping the eyes open on the recliner at halftime.

2) Which brings us to this: I'm thankful that Denver beat Dallas. Now if the Giants can beat Seattle (can't their annual December swoon start early this year???), we're back in first place all alone! Woo hoo!!

3) I'm thankful that I hate alcohol. Well, I like rubbing alcohol for purposes of deleting ticks from one's body, but.....

...Robbie and I talked about this going to school the other morning. I know the two biggest reasons, for example, I've never tried beer.

---My upbringing (alcohol was sinful, it would only lead to drunkenness or addiction)

---IT SMELLS ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC!!!

As I age, I'm a bit more mellow in my alcohol view (one drinking a beer a day is still not damned to hell if they serve the Lord; but they do suffer from no sense of smell....hee hee....)----I also see no problem with a glass of wine at dinner.

I.E.---God's Word says to not drink to what....."excess". Correct. I'm thankful this has never been a temptation for me. I need to pray more for those I know (and those I don't) who struggle with it every day.

Drinking? Never cared. Smoking? Couldn't if I wanted to due to my allergies. Lust? Now you hit the nerve. That's always been my Achilles Heel sin. I'm thankful that it has had less and less of an effect on me in 2005. So, obviously, I must be letting God do more of the fighting, otherwise I'd keep messing up. :)

Okay----how did Denver/Dallas lead to a confession of sin??? Hee hee....

3) I'm thankful for Mountain Dew. That's my not-so-secret addiction, and source of caffeine (the smell of coffee also drives me nuts!)

4) I'm thankful we discovered my sleep apnea and I have the equipment to help me sleep better. I can't believe it's already been two years since my deviated septum surgery. Now there's a Thanksgiving I won't forget, even though I spent most of it sleeping!! And, it was NOT due to exhaustion or depression!!

Them were some powerful pills they gave me! I had the surgery the day before Thanksgiving, stayed overnight (patients getting this surgery are usually same day, but they held me overnight for observation to make sure my respiration returned to normal after being put under. This is an issue to watch for sleep apnea people like me...), and came home Thanksgiving morning.

Then I remember the following:

--Bonnie brought me food mid-afternoon. I ate, and went back to bed.
--There was football on TV. Obviously I knew Detroit and Dallas were part of it. That's about all I knew.
--One night (either Thursday or Friday) I was awake long enough to watch a Sam Walton biography. Friday night there was basketball on.
--Then, finally, I felt like coming into the living room to lie on the couch on Saturday evening.

Like I said, them were some powerful pills!

But it's one of the best things I've ever done; my allergies have become such a minor part of my life after suffering and suffering from them all of my life. Attacks like the one I had last week is now rare, rather than expected on a usual basis (several times a year, especially spring and fall).

And finally....

5) I'm grateful that my wife gives me a back scratch every night. What a great way to finish a day, no matter how it went. :)

Hope your Thanksgiving was enjoyable, relaxing, tasted good, and was spent with people you love.

If you worked today, thank you for your sacrifice. Police, fire, nurses, doctors, EMT's, radio announcers (I know that feeling well!), pharmacists, just to name a few.

If you worked today in regular retail, your company should have its head examined. We can all live ONE day without a KMart or WalMart being open.

Of course, having said that, I'm reminded that, quite frankly, we could probably live for many years without a KMart open....but that's another discussion.

No comments: