Tuesday, November 01, 2005

News and Notes on November 1st.....

First---the game.

This is my fourth season calling Patrick Henry football games (my alma mater!). I've had the pleasure of calling many victories for the Patriots, and, now, a fourth fantastic game with a fantastic finish.

Deep Run came to Ashland a very surprising 6-1, losing last week to Mills Godwin 10-0. They could stay in the District title race with a win and knock Patrick Henry out of the ranks of the unbeaten.

This was a defensive slugfest. PH's normal running game was pretty much stalled. To be fair, DJ Thomas was hurting most of the second half and played more on heart than legs.

It was 13-6 at the half. Deep Run scored the only points of the 2nd half. We go to overtime, 13-13.

PH gets the ball first, and scores in two plays from the ten. Extra point is good; 20-13.

Now, Deep Run's turn. Two plays, and they're in.

Deep Run then decides to do what PH decided to do last year in the Hermitage game; you're on the road, go for two and go for the win.

As I call the play, the ball goes to RB Wes McDaniel, who scored the TD on the last play, and my first reaction is he's got a clear seam to the end zone.

Then Stubby said, "No!"

Within a nanosecond, I see McDaniel being halted on the 1 yard line, with a PH defender coming from around the other side of the Deep Run offensive line to grab him by the back of the collar to halt progression, while a second PH defender comes in from the end zone to make sure he doesn't get in.

I see the referee signifying "no good". I go, "No Good! No Good! And Patrick Henry holds on to defeat Deep Run 20 to 19 in Overtime!" (or words to that effect).

It makes all the blowout games worthwhile to be able to call a nail-biter. What a game, and give credit to Deep Run, only in their 3rd year of varsity football. They have a tremendous defense and a great coach.

So, PH is 8-0, with JR Tucker on the road Friday, then the showdown we've all been waiting for: PH/Hermitage on 11/11. Patrick Henry could win this week, lose to Hermitage next week, finish 9-1 and still miss the playoffs while Hermitage, at 8-2, would get in. Long story; explanation later....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And so, the reason why it was good I didn't go to Mama's grave last Friday morning on her birthday?

The van would have died in Louisa County. Later in the day Friday, the van died on Bonnie. Wouldn't start, period. This would most likely have happened to me early on a Friday morning, so, it was disappointing, but good, that I didn't make it.

I will soon, though. It's my favorite place to go for emotional catharsis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Funeral for Ms. Elsie will be Thursday morning, with visitation Wednesday night. This event has drawn out my "separation emotions" concerning leaving the church pastorate about 50 days before they would hit.

Commence crying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Very little time to follow news events, etc....my only current events comment is the Virginia Gubernatorial election is a week from now, and I CANNOT WAIT until it's over.

I'm ready to hear "I'm Ronald McDonald, and I approve this ad to make you fatter!"

No comments: