Monday, November 28, 2005

A personal loss; a loss for the Berkshires....

For those of you who live in Richmond or know anything about Richmond, you'll know the name Alden Aaroe. To several generations of Richmonders, he just wasn't "on the radio", he WAS Richmond radio.

I had the honor of working with someone of his stature. His name was Dana Jones. He spent his entire radio career in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, where I began mine 20 years ago.

Deep, rich baritone voice, very likable, and a whiz at creating characters in the production room. He woke up the Berkshires from 1947 to his retirement in 1988.

My first commercial radio airshift was a Saturday, noon to sign-off, on WUHN. I followed Dana Jones---in the grammatical sense ONLY.

No one followed Dana, just as no one will ever follow Alden here in Richmond.

I learned tonight of Dana's passing last Friday at 83. Take a moment and read the article from the Berkshire Eagle.

He could have easily gone big-market; but liked where he was. I'm so glad to be able to count myself as one of those who were able to watch him at work.

No comments: