Sunday, October 22, 2006

...the list that doesn't matter to you, part II....

Happiest homecoming after school: Dad's spaghetti simmering (and me stealing some because I just couldn't wait 'til dinner and, heck, he was still driving the bus).

Worst homecoming after school: Three words---Corned Beef Hash.

Cash and Carry Grocery, Beaverdam Virginia. The third of the trifecta of buildings that made up half the "town" proper. First, the bank (remember United Virginia Bank? Nah, not Crestar nor Suntrust...), then the post office (we were Box 11), then the store. Ms Gurdey, the manager, if you will....the Sealtest ice cream sandwiches. Looking at every new Box of Twinkies when delivered by the Hostess guy to see which cut-out baseball cards were on the bottom of the box.

Mama taking me to Cash and Carry at age four to have pictures done, complete with red sweater and black tie. (Training to be Mister Rogers??)

There were TWO car dealerships in a, well, TINY village. Beaverdam Ford, Trainham Chevrolet. We were a Chevrolet family. I still don't like Ford, but I drive a Windstar. It was the best option available at CarMax the day we had to buy something.

---Playing Mr. Brownlow in "Oliver Twist" in the fourth grade.
---Being teased about high-water pants around the same time.
---A bottle of 4-Way Nasal Spray in my left pocket every day (couldn't do that now)
---Being thrown off the slidingboard ladder onto blacktop because one kid was going after another and, well, I was in the way. Closest I ever came to fighting at school. Didn't need to----a teacher slammed him against the brick wall asking him what in the world he was doing. Meanwhile, I'm in the office watching Mrs. Swift, the secretary, get small pebbles out of my elbow
---I still have a scar there to this day.

More to come..............

No comments: