Saturday, October 15, 2005

Thoughts, notes, and the 30 yard-line.......

Some thinking before my brain shuts down for the evening:

--Coach Ray Long wins #200 last night as Patrick Henry shuts down John Marshall 54-12. JM scored a touchdown on the final play that most people didn't see because everyone was staring at the sideline as the cheerleaders unfurled banners hailing the accomplishment and Coach got the "Gatorade dunk".

Through the magic of portability, and cell phones, Stubby and I were able to take the equipment onto the field during the post-game show and interview Coach Long at about the 30-yard line. Stubby did the honors, and as Coach was reflecting back on the past 24 seasons, I could see a tear develop in his eye and I was moved. Because I came to Patrick Henry that same year he came to be the head coach.

Hard to believe it's been that long; I looked through my sophomore yearbook when I got home for more trips down memory lane. So, we signed off the broadcast on the field at about the 15 yard line, then hustled back to the press box to pack and leave, since the P.A. announcer had to wait for us to leave in order to lock up. I appreciate his patience!

Deep Run beats Douglas Freeman to remain tied atop the District w/PH at 3-0. Freeman comes to Ashland Friday night, holding a three-game winning streak against Patrick Henry. PH has got to make sure it doesn't go to four. Then, if all holds, it's Deep Run/Patrick Henry in Ashland on Mama's birthday, possibly for the District title, but only possibly, since there are two more games to play after that, including a war with an upset Hermitage squad who everyone expected to easily win the title, and now they're in 3rd place.

High school football----gotta love it! OH, and I had a great conversation with my 11th grade English and 12th grade Advance Novel teacher, Nick Liberante, which I really enjoyed. He's on the sidelines every Friday night with camera in town for the school. He hasn't aged in 20 years, either. I'm jealous, like I was two weeks ago at the reunion!!! :)

-----------------------------------

--Reggie Bush won the Heisman today. The winning play for USC over Notre Dame? See it? I saw the highlight. Leinart doesn't make it.....unless Bush pushes him in. So, for everyone who couldn't decide which guy should strike the pose in December should USC run the table again, the issue is settled.

Well, except a guy named Vince Young way down south has a few words to say, too....

-----------------------------------

Pumpkin Patch here we come! It's the annual visit to Ashland Berry Farm not far from my hometown, for the hayride, the searching, the selecting, the return hayride, and the adventure to see if Mom can carry all the picked pumpkins and walk three steps with them in order to pay the $20 flat rate fee.

Mom was successful.

Dad?!?! Why didn't YOU DO IT?

Confusicous say----Man with bum shoulder should not carry idol of Linus' worship.

----------------------------------

Oh, and I fell trying to get off the ground (I sat while the crew picked; I'm really not the pumpkin-type. No one wants to support my desire. I think a trip to the turnip patch would be wonderful....but I seem to be in the minority.


Finally, prayers to the family of Jason Collier, the Atlanta Hawk who died of a heart attack last night at just 28 years old. Remember his wife, Katie, and children as they must face an unthinkable challenge.

This reminds all of us, just like when we lost a 27 year-old neighbor 10 years ago early one morning, leaving behind her husband and very young daughter, just how precious and fleeting life is.

If you're blessed with tomorrow.....let's try to make the most of it.

And, if you've read this blog any, you know the preceding statement is meant to me first, and then to the world at large.


PS----Linda Hamilton on Larry King last night discussing Bi-Polar. I want to read the transcript and provide thoughts a bit later....

No comments: