Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Decompression.....

Well.....several points and notes this evening:

First, let's go back to Friday night's PH/Douglas Freeman game....

Patrick Henry was 6-0 going into the game, but their wins were against teams with a combined record of 5-22 and none had a winning record when they took the field to play PH.

So, their #2 ranking in the area Top 10 was considered tenuous by some, undeserved by others. Here was their chance to prove they were for real, against a school that had their number the past three seasons in three wild games.

PH let them hang around in the first half, and tried to shake them early in the third quarter. It was 21-7 at the half, 28-7 quickly into the third quarter, but 28-14 a few minutes later.

Then, DF tries a surprise onside kick, and this proves to be the play of the game. The "big play" isn't always the long pass or the interception return for a TD (each of which we had in this game). This time, it was PH having no sure "hands" players on the front line of the special teams unit as the onside kick comes straight towards a backup lineman, big #77.

Not only did he catch it, he held onto it after taking some hits while being tackled. That was a HUGE play. On the next play, PH scored from 52 yards, and the rout was on.

48-14 is the final, and PH proves they just may belong. The other unbeaten team in the district, Deep Run, lost, so, they come to PH Friday night a game behind, in need of a win. PH wins on their homecoming night, and they're 2 away from a perfect regular season and the district title.

This Friday night should be LOTS of fun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ironically enough, I've been VERY groggy the past couple of days. We're trying to figure out why. I have dreamed, ALOT, in recent nights, very, very vividly. That should be a good sign, actually.

Another school of thought would be less stress now that my announcement has been made has caused my body to "come down" (a nice term for "crash"), but I just don't know.

I'm going to bed early again tonight, just to be on the safe side.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, Mama would have turned 67. Usually I would make my annual sunrise trek to her gravesite in Louisa, and hope to do so again this time. The problem will be it is on, well, a Friday, which is a very busy day. But I need those moments with her on that day, so I suspect it'll prevail.

I've always figured if anyone ever wanted to knock me off, there's the perfect chance. Hillcrest Cemetery, Louisa....Route 33 just west of town, 'round sunrise on October 28th. I'm the one sitting on a bleacher pad crying near the back in the center.

Mama's only one reason for doing this, but that's another story...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And, finally, as for decompression, I'm working on getting ready for "life after pastorate". The stuff I'll miss will become more apparent over the long-term, as some of the things I definitely won't miss inevitably arrive at the surface first.

I'm on board 'til 12/26, unless otherwise notified, and I think I've already got a sermon idea for Sunday. Anything I do from now 'til whenever the tenure ends will be targeted with nothing but "forward-thinking" in mind.

The era which God used me is 'bout done. So, the vision needs to be placed in the future God is preparing. Just pray with me the hearts of all the people are willing to be "forward-thinking", too. Yes, their hearts. One can process stuff in the brain all day, but if one doesn't believe in their heart that God can do great things in the future, or, worse yet, refuse to want to adhere to or even listen to God's future plans, then that person is, unfortunately, the loser.

And, no matter how any relationships have ever gone with anyone there over the past almost-decade, I want everyone moving forward with God. It's the only way to go.

Plus, God would kick my tired, overweight rear if I felt otherwise. :)

No comments: