Friday, April 22, 2005

Work, work, work, work.....zzzzzzzzzzzz.........

So, the title, in a nutshell, was this week. Well, at least after Monday.

Let's review, shall we?

1) Saturday April 16th: GOING HOME....

Longdale Elementary School never felt so good. After having to leave there following seven wonderful years, being rezoned to another school, the Withams returned to Longdale to serve as simple volunteers. Well, I volunteered. Robbie and Rachel played and played and spent my $$$ at Longdale PTO's annual Spring Fling.

They set it up somewhat differently than what our board did last year, and I was VERY impressed. It was much more efficient, streamlined, and even added a craft show without taking up much additional space. Extremely orderly, lots of high schoolers for volunteers. And to think, 18 months ago I was scared to death as to who would step up and take over the PTO leadership knowing most of the leadership at the time would probably be rezoned.

Of course, all of that wonderful leadership experience has been kicked to the curb, but that's another story for another day (you know, the one God hasn't given me permission to tell yet.)

I spent my four hours selling tickets for all the outdoor activities, hugging old teachers and friends, and hangin' out with Robbie's 3rd grade teacher, my ticket-selling partner, Mrs. Whitehead.

From the second I walked into the building, it was like time stood still. What a great feeling, and how thankful I am that they would let me come to lend a hand and provide me with a cherished, much needed volunteer experience.

Well done, Longdale. Well done!

PS---I was so busy with the ticket sales and other things, I FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES. Sorry....

2) Sunday April 17th: IF YOU PRINT IT, THEY'LL ASK, "WHAT'S THIS??"
After we finished the letters to the seven churches of Asia Minor in early Revelation, I thought it practical to halt in our study for a few moments and hand out to the congregation Sunday a synopsis of Christianity's takes on Revelation over the past 1900 plus years. That way, they (if they took the time to actually look at it) could better understand different interpretations throughout church history, especially in light of the Futurist belief's popularity today.

I did politely ask them, though, that, if they had no intention of reading it, just take it home to throw it away, don't leave it on the pew. Nothing like being subtle while using a sledgehammer.

Then, we began Revelation 4, are barely through two verses, and return there this Sunday.

Then, it was nap time, take Rachel to Awanas, watch my son mow grass (Praise God!!) and go get Rachel.

3) Monday April 18th: ANOTHER HILL?? BUT THIS IS FLATLAND!!!

I wake up, thanks to sitting on the front porch watching grass being mowed (and mowing some myself in the backyard), with the obligatory sinus headache. It came and went all day long. I also had a little stomach buggy, so I missed the appointment with Dr. Buxton (Robbie made his) and slept in 'til noon.

Then, it was off, on this my day with the kids on their day off, to eat and to end up at Maymont Park. The exhibit building was closed to the public on Monday (rats!) but it gave us extra time to comb the park, meeting animals, and, along the way, lots and lots of HILLS.

Needless to say, by Wednesday, I was reminded of just how many hills I climbed.

My favorite part of the visit? Easy---watching and listening to a small waterfall in a babbling brook. Nature's "White Noise", I call it. I must have a fan on at night to produce what I term "white noise" (don't ask me, I heard it from somewhere else at some point and it stuck), otherwise, I can't sleep. Complete silence at sleepy-time unglues me. So, listening to the water trickle gave me a sense of peace and serenity that escapes me, oh, most all the time right now.

Quick aside: lunch was at TGI Fridays: we're being seated, and I notice something familiar on TV. Is it?? YES!! IT'S CURLING!!!! Bonnie got the hostess to move us to a table where I could watch the end of the Women's World Curling Championships (Sweden beat the US for the gold medal). Yes, Curling. I love it. So do at least, four or five other people, I'm sure.....

Oh, and then there's "24". Midnight to 1am was not the most riveting hour of the series, but it does set up the return of President Palmer (woo hoo!), further separates Jack and Audrey, and positions Jack to a place where he may not be able to serve CTU or the Defense Department once the clock returns to 7am. And I never thought I'd meet an egotistical Barney Fife, but I did. The temporary President.

4) Tuesday April 19th: BACK TO WORK, WE HAVE A POPE, HERE COMES THE NEW....LIGHTS OUT?

Now beginning the painful longsuffering of a four-day workweek (you know, you work yourself to death beforehand in order to take the vacation day, only to come back to a pile of crap loaded on your desk during your short ill-advised absence), I seek to center myself back into continuity reality, when, a phone call comes in advising us of white smoke.

Knowing this had nothing to do with a fire procedure in the building, I immediately enforce the one exception to the "No TV On Before 530pm in the Office" rule: when there's breaking news, turn it on.

Well, if they didn't ring those darn bells and New Pope-Mania arrived. It was rather interesting to watch the crowds, especially those running down the street trying to get to the Square in time for the appearance of Pope 265.

And, as we in the office patiently waited, and I privately wondered if the Cardinals had the guts to do what they should have done and elect a Pope from outside Europe, preferably from Latin America or Africa.......the power dies.

What? Perfectly sunny day! Must be momentary. Then the moment passed...

Okay, I thought, a car accident into a light pole, maybe. Getting closer...

Turns out someone drove a station vehicle (one of those trailers stations use to do remotes so they look cool) into the back parking lot, with the mast still up. A mast is basically an antenna used to send a signal back to the station during a remote broadcast. They are to be taken down before leaving the scene. Well, I have no idea what happened (so therefore refuse to speculate on any details, because I know the guy driving it became overwhelmed with guilt, as I would have....), but the mast hit, then drug, then snapped two power lines right outside our office window.

We see them dangling. It's gonna be more than a moment.

Meanwhile the radio on-air studios kick into a generator. My office doesn't. So I do what I can without my computer, and then come to a screeching halt. I run move my car out of the back parking lot in case they close off the lot to repair the lines. And, I sneak a peek in the WRVA newsroom to the TV, where, there, I see the safe choice before me.

Pope Benedict XVI.

Didn't have the guts. Oh, well.

Getting hotter in the building, precious time passing.....

Finally, after spending about an hour in our room watching Va Power at work, we see the switches coming on a little after 3pm, some 2 hours, 40 minutes after the unfortunate incident (praise God no one was hurt when the mast hit the power lines; it could have been much worse).

So, we're all playing catch up; my friend Kim worse than others, as she's working ahead so she can go get wisdom teeth cut out the next morning. Yippie!!

The day does end, I wish Kim the best, and come home....to just fire up my computer, dial in to my station computer, and work some more. Which leads us to....

5) Wednesday April 20th: OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND SAY "CHA-CHING!"

More catching up at work, but first, one of two consecutive routine interrupters this week. I have an 11:15am dentist appointment to have, oh, 287 fillings done. No, actually four. There was an emergency, so I had to wait a little extra, but, no problem. The doc and his assistant were awesome. The only worry I had was, of course, getting back to the mountain of paper at work.

I painfully, and with a numb lip area, return to work, and plow through the day until I stop to come home; run to Ukrop's, get here, and.....dial in to my work computer and work three more hours while the missus watches "Lost", "Alias" and "Eyes". I lost my alias eyes in sixth grade...thinking it was just part of the maturing process....but anyway....

6) Thursday April 21st: WORK, PRAY, WORK, COLLAPSE......

Back to work in the AM after the wonderful daily routine of taking Rachel, then Robbie to school. I work 'til nearly 11, then take off and go to Prince George for our church's first ever "Senior Luncheon". An event designed for, but not limited to, those 55 and older to have fellowship, share information, and enjoy a special guest. My job? I prayed. It was nice to do nothing when Sunday morning I'm usually doing about everything.

Our first series speaker was Rev. Andrew White, pastor of both Union Branch Baptist in Prince George, and Zion Baptist in Petersburg. At 73, he's been in ministry 51 years, the past 42 of them at these churches. He was wonderful, and I really enjoyed talking to him during lunch.

Then, once complete, a quick check of the sanctuary with the new sound system in mind, and off to get gas, a Pepsi, and it's back to Richmond.

Nearly there, I see it's 2pm on the van clock and think, well, I've got about nine hours ahead of me.

Close. It was ten.

By the time I came to a stopping point (notice I don't use the word finish) in my work, it was just after midnight. Welcome to Friday.

7) Friday April 22nd: SURVIVE AND RELIVE.....

Work? Survived. Kept plugging until the work through Monday was done. The rest of it? Heck yeah, I brought it home with me tonight so I can dial....you know the drill.

OH--FORGOT---Kim's surgery went great and she was home before noon Wednesday. She called in to check on things Thursday, but not today (not surprised, second day after surgery is usually the yicky day)

Relive? Oh, I'll tell you!

10 years ago today, Saturday April 22, 1995, I took off, by myself for Gospel Music Week in Nashville, Tennessee.

Having been to GMA the year before on a "vacation of sorts" with Bonnie and young, young Robbie, and having gone to Nashville on vacation in '93, I felt very familiar with the area. It was hard to leave Bonnie and Robbie, especially since it was just 3 days after the horrible Oklahoma City bombing and I'm on the way to a high-rise hotel in a prominent downtown area, but off I went, excited about the prospects of the week.

I spent the 10 hour drive listening to music, but mostly, finding stations where I could listen to the NFL Draft. Yes, I said, listen to the NFL draft. I know, some of you think, "sounds like listening to golf." Hey, to each his own! :)

Ki-Jana Carter to Cincinnati. I listened on the newly formed Carolina Panthers radio network as they discussed the franchise's first ever draft pick, Kerry Collins. By the time I was just outside Nashville, Kordell Stewart had gone to Pittsburgh.

I get to the hotel, and into the room I shared with a radio personality from a sister station in Baton Rouge (he's now on morning drive in Houston!). I call home to inform the troops of my arrival. Then I cry.

I missed them. Might have been the only time I cried in 1995. If so, I cried more yesterday than I did all of that year.

That was a magical week. I met many, many wonderful Christian artists, got to interview lots of them, enjoy great music, have my aircheck critiqued by Dan O'Day (and watch him critique about 15 others), and see my record company "phone-buddies" in person. I had a Dove award ticket, but, just didn't want to stay one more night. By Thursday, I was ready for home. So, if I recall it correctly, somehow I found out Rebecca St. James' family needed extra Dove tickets, so I left mine for them at the front desk, left Nashville late in the afternoon (oh, I did cry more than once in '95; I cried as I drove away from the city) and made it to Glen Allen about 2am.

To be awakened around midday the next day by my almost three year old son pouncing on me was a terrific and wonderful moment.

-------------------------------------------------------

And, so that brings me to the present. I'm so ready for night-night; Bonnie is out on the town with her best friend Stephanie, so I'm kinda waiting up for her, thinking it somewhat rude for her to come home to three sleeping Withams and a territorial cat.

But I may not last much longer......

LISTENING TO: Caedmon's Call first CD (1997); Phil Collins, especially his beautiful live version of "Separate Lives" with a female of which I do not know her name (talk about making you cry!), mixed in with some "Steve McQueen" from Sheryl Crow, Rebecca St. James, and some Hotel California cuts from the Eagles.

No, I haven't gotten around to Hooked on Phonics.

Well, it's now the last week of Robbie's "pre-teen" years. He's using acne pads, and we discovered peach fuzz over the weekend. Guess I'd better take a deep breath and get ready, there's no stopping it now.

:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were just doing a search to see if there was a LongdalePTO website out there anywhere because "maybe" we will start one and we ran across this site. Thank you for such nice reviews about our Spring Fling. You made a lot of it possible and we appreciate all of your help. Come back anytime you want!
PTO MAMA