Friday, October 01, 2004

John Kerry and Pearl Jam

But before I explain the title....


....it wouldn't be a Thursday night without working late...like, midnight and after late. That's why this entry is officially labeled October 1st, even though my mind still thinks "September 30".

The debate: Kerry did a great job "debating"; on the art of debating, he won. Bush used the term "hard work" way too much. You will hear many pundits later today (like they did right afterwards) praise Kerry's performance in Bush's "strong suit".

QUESTION: John Kerry has said, "I have a plan" a gazillion times. Could I hear it, John? What is it? How could you magically bring Germany and France to the table to come help quell the strife in Iraq? Exactly how many UN trips would it have taken to have Saddam Hussein finally say, "Okay, you got me, I'm leaving now. I'm sorry I killed so many Kurds." We tried diplomacy for 12 YEARS.

So, when I have time, I'm gonna take his advice, run over to his website, and then I'll return with thoughts on his illustrious "plan", which he barely scratched the surface on tonight.

Truthfully, neither candidate impressed me with bold ideas or specifics. Kerry relied on how he "would do better", which any opponent uses against an incumbent, and Bush, surprisingly, didn't spend enough time historically capsuling what it meant to go to Iraq and Afghanistan, compared to other times we've done similar things in the 20th century.

Just think, without the U.S., France would be now in their seventh decade under the Third Reich. Think about it.

NOW.....the title.

The most telling moment of my night was long after the debate ended. You're known by the company you keep, plus the people who wish to identify with you. A new CD with music "inspired by Farenheit 9/11" comes out next week, including a song from Pearl Jam, who performed it on Letterman tonight...this morning....whatever....

The last few verses made me hopping mad, and just makes me wanna go up to Eddie Vedder and ask him exactly how he gets off criticizing the President and the military (and do NOT try to tell me he wrote this song about someone or something else), when his ultimate goal is found in the final verse. Look:


"And I hope that you die, and your death will come soon
I'll follow your casket, in the pale afternoon
And I'll watch as you're lowered, into your deathbed
And I'll stand on your grave till I'm sure that you're dead."


That slice of peace, love and understanding coming from another member of the Michael Moore fan club, who, by the way, can't get enough of John Kerry.

I want a President who has a fan who wants to kill another person and "stand on their grave till I'm sure that you're dead"? And, being on a Farenheit 9/11 "inspired" CD, you and I know who that is.

The only thing Farenheit 9/11, and Michael Moore "inspire" me to do is have a case of diarrhea.

FOOTBALL: Patrick Henry later tonight looks to right the ship in its Colonial District opener against John Marshall in Ashland. Stubby and I will be there; the full report once I return home..later tonight...I'm so "calendarly-challenged" right now....

No comments: