Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I must attend to the dishes that I have soiled with the food that I have eaten....

....wonderful words of wisdom from MoJo JoJo from a classic episode of the Powerpuff Girls.

A few random thoughts, since I haven't really blogged, other than debate and football coverage for awhile....

1) An old, old friend went to my blog, and didn't like the anti-Kerry comments, emailed me, and told me so. I have no problem with that. I just hope they will return at some point to find out that politics is not the driving force of this blog; it just so happened my last entries were done the night of the third debate (you know, that third "Kerry win"...ahem....). Otherwise, I address my response to her privately, not here.

2) Give it up, Sox fans!! Do you honestly think you'll win two in a row against the Yanks in the Bronx? No one has EVER come back from a 3-0 deficit, and of all teams (other than the Cubs?) certainly the Red Sox won't do it. Don't get me wrong--I HATE THE YANKEES!!! But, I'm too much of a realist to get any hopes up at all. And, honestly, St. Louis suddenly looks real shaky. Clemens in the World Series AGAINST the Yankees?? Could be....

3) Let's see....Bush is to blame for the flu vaccine shortage (wasn't there one last year, too, and the frightening headlines soon disappeared...), and you could argue he is the cause of athlete's foot, both the curse of the Red Sox, and Cubs, and why the NHL didn't start their season. I also think Bush is to blame for water flowing downstream, but we'll get confirmation from the DNC on that about any time now.....

4) Work is, work. East coast bias?? Try working for a company who has a major division on the West Coast, and at 410pm their time sends out an urgent email that a radio spot CANNOT air tomorrow and must be replaced with the one attached on the email. Never mind the fact I received it at 710pm. Sadly, I'm there many nights at 710pm...so you know me, off upstairs I go to put it in....

5) We're coming up on October 28th, when Mama would have been 66 and completing her first year of receiving the Social Security benefits she worked so hard for. She's getting MUCH better benefits where she is right now, I can guarantee ya! I just can't help, though, and think how ironic it is, that so many times she would tell me about how it would be once she retired from the bus route at 65; I know she'd spend her time sewing for income and take lots of time to enjoy her garden, yard, and flowers, and travel a little. She only made it to 64. Kinda makes all the talk about Social Security on the campaign trail superfluous to me.....

I haven't decided how to handle the 2nd birthday without her. I'm sure outside forces (namely work and kids' school stuff) will pretty much dictate that decision, but I must return to her gravesite...it's been way too long. But I've gotta go alone; I never have. Not that I've minded the kids going with me, for I've enjoyed keeping her alive with them; she meant so much to them. But I need to have a seat on the ground, sit Indian-Style like I always do, rock back and forth, and just hang out and talk with her, as if we were on the front porch again. Either front porch...the big one at Grandaddy's house/farm in North Carolina when I was a kid, or her front porch (really a side porch) at her house the last 19 years of her life.

I guess it's rather obvious my Mama had a profound impact on my life, and, even approaching two years after her death, I find myself fighting to get "out of the funk" that is depression, a condition she'd never want me to be in. Guess I'd better quit before I start that weeping and gnashing of teeth stuff again....:)

NOW--UPDATES I'VE NOT DONE IN AWHILE:

Music I'm listening to: Asia's 1982 self-titled debut album----I enjoy the deeper cuts on this one, rather than the radio hits (which are fine), but Sole Survivor, Time Again, Wildest Dreams, and Here Comes The Feeling recall a great time in my life---summer of '82.....preparing for high school, my first breakup, and all the agnst that goes with being 15 and having acne.
What's worse anyway: acne at 15 or extra weight at 37?

COUGAR UPDATE: I WILL be posting a picture of the Super 88 Cougar, as I've taken a couple on the digital camera. Also caught a rainbow leaving Ashland Berry Farm last Saturday afternoon, so we'll have to try and get that posted on here, too (hope it looks good!)

And, it's late, but----

WITHAM HISTORY: October 17, 1987: Bonnie was stupid enough to go on her first date with moi. She first ordered me not to listen to my Genesis cassette while she was in the car (being the strait-laced Pentecostal girl she was); and now, I can't get her to stop watching Fox News, Lite 98 is her only radio station, and she doesn't mind when my kids sing Moody Blues songs....or Genesis for that matter (had to teach her to live a little...hee hee....)

All for now; I'm gonna catch a nap, get up around 3am, just in time for the 19th inning of Red Sox/Yankees game six.

No comments: