Tuesday, March 12, 2013

30 Years Ago: March 12, 1983....

A pensive Saturday, as I joined Wolfpack fans around the world from my living room to watch the boys try to stay alive against defending national champion North Carolina in the ACC Tournament Semifinals.

As will be the case for the next three weeks, nothing would come easy, and we ended up going to overtime. And that's about the time I realized.....

....I was wearing a UNC wristband on my left arm.  I had been for some time (days, weeks...) because I love all things North Carolina.  But this HAD to go.  I took it off and flung it across the living room!  Don't worry, I picked it up later...

....after the Wolfpack stormed through overtime en route to a seven-point win, 91-84!  One more win, and the Pack would be back in the Big Dance.  No way their regular season record would get them an at-large bid in a field of just 52 teams in 1983.  They'll have to beat....

....Ralph Sampson and Virginia.  The team we led by 27 and lost to after losing Dereck Whittenburg to injury that fateful January night that seemed to doom the season.  Sampson, Wilson, Miller, Carlisle, the usual Cavalier suspects.

We've GOT to beat Virginia.  If there's one team I could NOT stand then...and now, it's Virginia, though not as vociferously as I did in the early 1980s.....

See you tomorrow, Ralph.

No comments: