Friday, April 18, 2008

It's Official: MY SON CAN SLEEP THROUGH AN EARTHQUAKE

Yep. He's tried to tell us for years he was a heavy sleeper. And we knew that, as he sleeps nightly in his bedroom while his TV blares away for all the animals to be annoyed by (and yes, his sister's TV is the same way....).....

Now we have concrete proof. The 5.2 earthquake that hit Southern Illinois at 4:36AM CT was centered about 230 miles south of the Windy City, but it swayed the skyscrapers there. Didn't sway Robbie.

Neatly wrapped in his sleeping bag somewhere in his hotel room with who knows how many guys and chaperones.....he never felt a thing.

When he called this morning, his focus was on the fact he'd lost his good sunglasses.

Sure is good to write about my son and a surprise earthquake, and be able to humor about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERATION ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

This afternoon after a half day of substituting a marvelous group of third graders, I sat my keyster in front of the TV to watch a Cubs/Pirates baseball game.

Why in the world would I do that?

Because a Witham would be there. :)

Robbie made it to Wrigley Field today, and we talked twice by phone. After our call just after the game ended, I realized the following.

1) I remember my Dad talking about going to Fenway Park in Boston when he was young and he saw the great Ted Williams hit a home run during a game.

2) So, in 1985, when I made it to Fenway Park, I couldn't help but use the pay phone, call back home to Virginia, just to tell my Dad, "Guess where I am? I'm at Fenway!"

3) In 2008, my son, no sports fan, calls me at home twice from one of the three baseball stadiums I want to visit before dying, Wrigley Field. He got there before I did. And that's fine with me. :)

Had I pondered it another 20 seconds, I would have blubbered. :)

THIS HAS BEEN A WITHAM GENERATION ALERT.......

No comments: