Sunday, October 21, 2007

.....potpourri.....

---you're Tennessee head coach Jeff Fisher. You're up 25 one minute, then within an hour of real time, you've just witnessed a complete collapse of your team at the hands of......

SAGE ROSENFELS?

....but moments later you are rescued from the depths of losing by.....

KERRY COLLINS?

And then, Rob Bironas saves the day. EIGHT field goals in one game; a new NFL record.

I like Rob (other than the name, duh!); last year I caught the end of a Tennessee game where he was going for a 60-yarder to win and I thought, "Lord, it would be so cool if he could make that."

And he did. After the game the CBS announcers asked him what the longest field goal of his career was.

"You just saw it", he replied. He sounded like the kid who just became owner of the candy store. :)

So, did YOU wake up this morning thinking Sage would sling, Kerry would barely carry, and Rob would do the job? What a quarter!

------------------------------------------------------------------

---You have to feel for Byron Leftwich. He loses his job in Jacksonville, then is released, then finally gets picked up by Atlanta. He starts, starts out well, then goes down injured. That simply sucks. We'll learn more tomorrow; hope he's gonna be alright and back on the field soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------

---No team is a machine. The Patriots will not go undefeated. They will probably beat the Colts, but they'll stumble somewhere. I don't think alot of people truly understand the team that was the 1972 Dolphins. They won with a back-up quarterback at age 38 (though Earl Morrall was a darn good quarterback) and in an era with no ESPN, no NFL.com, no podcasts, no 24/7 punditry on whether "The Fins" could go unbeaten in '72.

For a team to suffer a big injury (Quarterback) and still go undefeated is astonishing. If Tom Brady (God forbid) went down next week, who saves their perfect record?

In closing, I will readily admit to saying I'm biased. I can't stand the Patriots; I am so tired of them (and, oh, they cheated). I hope the Colts can find the chink in the armor. But I'm not holding my breath on it.

No comments: