Monday, September 17, 2007

But why, Barry? Why?......No, really, why?

So Barry Manilow cancels on The View the day before a scheduled performance after the show refused to allow him to be interviewed by everyone EXCEPT Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

So, I read the EXCLUSIVE statement Barry gave to TMZ.com.

Okay, dangerous and offensive. Not really a detailed explanation of an apparently new phobia with appearing with her on the same stage. Did you note he was on the show last year twice, and he was gracious enough to show up in spite of Elisabeth's presence CO-HOSTING THE SHOW, WHICH IS HER JOB, BY THE WAY.....

....but I digress....

So, I go to Manilow's own website. I get this insightful announcement....

Monday, September 17, 2007
A message from Barry...
Hey guys,

I wanted to let you know that I will no longer be on The View tomorrow as scheduled. I had made a request that I be interviewed by Joy, Barbara or Whoopi, but not Elisabeth Hasselback. Unfortunately, the show was not willing to accommodate this simple request so I bowed out.

It’s really too bad because I've always been a big supporter of the show, but I cannot compromise my beliefs. The good news is that I will be on a whole slew of other shows promoting the new album so I hope you can catch me on those.

Love,
Barry



Okay---compromise his beliefs. Which, to this point, he has yet to express.

Obviously, TMZ itself had it right (she happens to commit the sin of being politically conservative).

This is Manilow's decision, except for the fact that he waited 'til the 11th hour, as if Elisabeth might become Hillary or something (which was rude to The View in total), and I certainly have no problem with his right not to do the show. I just wonder why he'd not had a problem the other times (doesn't he get his staff to research the political backgrounds of all talk show hosts?)

So, again, a member of the "tolerant progressives" proves they indeed are intolerant, too. The least Barry could've done was, well, explain himself.

Unfortunately, intolerance is not the property of any particular group of humans. We are all easily capable of doing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...so glad I googled your name out of the blue today...glad to know you're still in the biz.

Bill Carl