Friday, August 17, 2007

The Storm, The Sequel, Its Powerful Cousin, and the long-lasting crazy uncle filled with lightning and thunder.......

I was so engrossed in work and other stuff yesterday that I totally forgot there might be a chance of thunderstorms in the evening.....

....it did hit 100 degrees, so the cauldron had been stirred apparently. When I turned on the TV at work to listen to the evening news, I'm greeted by radar pictures showing a fierce thunderstorm cell over Louisa County (seems like Mama's gotten little rest this summer with tons of storms rolling right over the cemetery up there....)

Oh, that's right, I thought. There's a chance for storms. A chance. Yeah, right.

As the next 30 minutes pass and I see that storm continue to rock, roll, blossom, and blow through the radar screen, I realize it's headed our way, it's a force to be reckoned with.....my family's at home and I'm not, and a good friend is a sitting duck on a football field watching youth football practice.

About four phone calls and a report of 92 mph winds 10 minutes from my friend and 25 from my house, I know the family is in and safe, and I'm happy to hear my friend and her boy are headed home!

So, this is storm one coming through; once it hit the station, HEAVY rain, TONS of lightning and thunder, and six close-calls where power was lost, but popped right back on. This is 730 or 8p.

By 9p or so, here comes another round; didn't know that was coming; but it wasn't as severe and rain was the star. I call home at 10p announcing my exit from work, only to get into a conversation with someone, and not leaving until 1030pm.....

....and as I left the building, totally and completely unbeknownst to me.....

....I walked into round three. It was about as vicious as round one. Tremendous wind, torrential rain, and a lightning show that left you breathless. From awe, and, while driving, from fear.

My prevalent thought going home was "watch the trees". And I had never had that thought driving in a storm before. Wind and ponding rain, but not the trees. So, I kept that at the forefront, as well as looking for the sudden "road ponds", and slowly, slowly headed for home, the van being rocked one way and another.

When I get to Wawa, I find them the last vestige of electricity. So, with some angst, I head down Old Staples Mill Road, which has been known to pond, and now with Target being built right beside it, who knows how the waterflow will be....or not be....now.

Had some ponds, made it through. Until just before I get to Hungary Road. A police car just on the scene.

A tree. Yes, a tree. Road blocked. I turn around in a minivan, whose transmission is quite suspect at this time, now needs to turn around on a two lane road, while NOT coming close to either ditch, not knowing their depth, or their current, well, water current.

Thanks to God, a success. So, back to Wawa, down Staples Mill more, a longer way home, and then in the house. About 1050pm. Rachel clings to me; I'm tired and still surprised.

Finally, after 1am, as I go to fall asleep, I see a new event outside my window...

....storm number four.

Strong lightning for an hour, or two, or so, isn't incredibly unusual....

We were at 5 1/2 hours when I drifted off to night-night after 1am.

So, while the crazy uncle outside told more "light stories" in the sky, my body, mind, and psyche called it a day.

Whew!

No comments: